How to go about accepting visa?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jmartmel, Jun 6, 2001.

1. jmartmel

jmartmel LawnSite Member

Just wondering if anyone knows how to set up so you can accept visa. I guess you have to talk to the bank, but what are all the guidelines or restrictions? do you have to have so much in sales? ect. ect. Also, I have heard of these systems that can charge at the door through a customers visa (wireless)? Was it hard to get do you need references? or credit checks? Any help would be appreciated. Also how can you go about so customers can pay online? Thanks.
  2. northtexasweb

northtexasweb LawnSite Member

I'm a newcomer on this forum, but I help people do this for their web business, so maybe I can provide at least one answer.

I don't know about wireless acceptance of credit cards specifically. I know they exist, and I bet they cost a fairly hefty sum for the service. It may not be worth it to you.

To accept credit cards generally, you need to have a merchant account established. Your bank can do it, but they will likely require excellent credit and even then, still may not do it for a home-based business. They're funny that way. But, there are thousands of companies out there that would love to help you get set up. They are brokers, and they usually don't require the same standards your local bank might, credit-wise. There may be application fees, etc. (though often waived). There are usually monthly statement fees, gateway fees, the discount and transaction fees, it goes on and on. I think it would take quite a bit of volume processed on credit cards to make it worthwhile. Just do a search (on Yahoo for example), for "merchant account" and see how many results you get!

As to online payment - there are several services that will let you accept payments online without a merchant account. The customer will need to key in their payment themselves (federal law - you can't just take their number and do it yourself with these services). Some of the services make the customer fill out one-time signup info, but some don't. The most famous of these is Paypal. It is used VERY frequently for online auction payments at E-bay, but can be used to send money to anyone with an e-mail address for any legal reason. I've used them lots, and think they're great. These services often charge a higher percentage of your sale than a regular merchant account, but the upside is they don't charge monthly fees. There is generally little or no cost until you use their service.

I don't want to be accused of spamming, so if you want to know some of these resources, leave me a private message and I'll let you know more about some of them.

Good luck,
  3. dhicks

dhicks Member

We use PayPal on our website. The customers visit the website and click the PayPal logo. We can take Visa and MC. Visit us at and see it.
  4. Lawn Wizard

Lawn Wizard LawnSite Member

There are literaly hundreds of companies that offer merchant acounts and all of them vary on the fees. Some charge a monthly rate some charge a percentage of the amount charge etc. I would try your local Chamber of Commerce they may have something set up for local businesses. Just do a general search on Yahoo for "Merchant Accounts" That should get you started. Paypal is pretty good for accepting payment over the web. How many people actually pay with credit cards?
  5. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

We accept credit cards. Got set up thru our bank. Has been a costly feature to offer but you can not get any goverment contracts under $2,500.00 without one. Since we get alot of these jobs it pays for it self. We have very few customers other than the goverment that use it.

Got to love getting some of those tax dollars back!
  6. jmartmel

jmartmel LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone! I think I will look into this paypal and see what it's all about. It sounds like to much trouble to go through for merchant accounts for the few people who want to pay with visa. I Just thought it would be great to get everyone on visa and just automatically charge at the same time every month and have no waiting around.
  7. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

Check Costco as I think their fees are less than a bank to handle your Visa account. I don't know why wireless accounts would cost more for processing because it's just like a cellular phone with modem, but you'd have the additional expense for the equipment and air time. Our kids swim team last summer had a team suit day and the company representative came to the pool with all the suits for them to try on and we paid right there in the bleachers by the pool with Visa which she ran through a wireless machine. She didn't know about the cost of it, but had been very happy with the way it worked. Will M>