How to go about buying an existing LCO

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HazellLawnCare, May 24, 2003.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I sold my lawn care business last December and in these few short months I realize I have made the mistake of my life. I am looking to purchase an existing lawn care company but have no clue to go about finding one. I am not concerned with were it will be I am able to move. Any info would be appreciated.

2. Duncan Lawn Care

Duncan Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hit the pavement and try to rustle up your own accounts. Why pay for accounts when there are plenty if you just go out and look. Good Luck.

3. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

A friend of mine is selling a very good 2 man business here in Brookings for $45,000.... Includes truck, equipment, leased shop, excellent employee and an established 6 figure gross...

This is a beautiful place to live... Doesn't freeze, doesn't get hot, barking dogs for crime report :), wet winters and dry summers (but we have irrigation)....

I've started and sold 8 businesses and he is selling for less than I would sell if for.... He's basically selling for 30% gross plus equipment value... Includes training and support... Not many make that kind of money in this small costal town....

Send me an email if you want more info.... Just put landscape business for sale in the headline so I won't delete it as junk...

Good Luck, Clay

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Duncan. If I ever lost my biz, I'd probably just start over handing out flyers like crazy. I bet I could grow a business like I have now in half the time it took me to grow my current biz.

But if you really want to buy, I'll consider any reasonable offers over $3 mil.

5. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Mr. J. Lewis,

All I have is $2,750,000 liquid. Ill tell you what, sell it to me and Ill let you keep that pretty new truck you like so much.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would personally not buy an LCO. I had the option of doing that last year and I turned it down when I found out that half of their customers were going to up and leave because they never liked his service.

I would just start out all over again from scratch.

7. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Not that I disagree w/ Tiedman, there are a LOT of factors/variables to determine...But, I know of an individual who "inherited" about 60 customers from a LCO/Concrete Co. The owner no longer needed to be "bothered with a Maintenance Crew beating his equipment" and saw this guy mowing with an older truck and W/B. Pulled over, watched him work, liked his demeanor, showed him around...tossed him 60 customers AND had the sexratary forward all the Lawn calls to him from the current yellow page AD for the remainder of the year.

The original owner had grown into a larger Concrete Co. and this associate of mine bought all kinds of equipment and went with it. Im not exactly sure if any money changed hands, but i was told it didnt??

8. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Nice!

Dear TruGreen, My name is Jim Lewis.....:D

9. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

I'd sell mine with 2 trucks 100 plus customers 2 trailers snow plow couple of wlkbehinds a leased shop everything needed for 40 grand. Email me if your interested Taussiglawncare@juno.com

10. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

hey Clay what is your email sorry but you didn't leave it