How to go about this...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Willofalltrades, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to triple my profits for next year (who doesn't lol). I stick mostly to maintenance though. I am thinking about doing an insert in the news paper. Would you recommend this? I requested a media kit and I know how to go about that stuff so... opinions. Also, how do you usually go about getting your name listed in the phone book. I don't want a ad, just a # and a name.

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Newpaper incerts tend to be expensive, depends on circulation. Do you have a website?

3. Willofalltrades

4. cutting crew

cutting crew LawnSite Member

You might look in the phone book, if you have a number they usually put you in at no charge for a name and number only!! Display ads tend to be spendy. When we were starting out we simply put a service ad in the service directory(mostly in small town papers, way cheaper than the big papers).

5. Doin_It

Doin_It LawnSite Member

To triple one's profits, doesn't mean you just triple your sales. It not a directional relationship as some may think. I just read 4 case studies on inserts vs. direct mailings to a set postal code area. One was by a major ladies makeup co. They placed the ads in 2 cities on 2 weekends, then using subcriber lists called 250 ladies less then 5 % 10-12 remember the ads or if they did, were going to do something about it. Where as the mailings were sent out in the same cities to marked PC and 36-41 % remember seeing the mailout and 18-22% were going to do something about it. Which is better? and they have the big $$'s to try those things out.

Mailouts can be personalized (vs. general) program is visible only
    to the target, and can be tailored and you can ask forimmediate action and the biggy is you can analysis the sales and ROI easy.

It would be worth printing up envelopes with logo's and return addrress as it looks professional and is cheap to do.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If you wish to increase your profits, I might recommend taking a long-term approach towards lowering your costs, as the effect of doing so tends to be cumulative, and at least somewhat permanent.

7. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I have to agree. I have finally realized that this is EXACTLY what I need to be doing too. My plan for next year is to buy as little as possible and get as much of my stuff paid off as I can. I need to learn to do a LOT more with a LOT less.

8. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Exactly - Learn to do more with less! I am in the same boat - bought 3 Z's one year - although I did sell the other out right to people - bought 2 used ( 2-3 year old trucks) and one new 4 door truck. Now a building - need to pay stuff off! When I run scenrio's of this payment plan over the next 1- 3 year period - profit at this level is taken x 4! There I increased your profit x's 3!!

9. Willofalltrades

Sorry Guys I don't think I explained it correctly. I would like to grow my customer base from 10 clients to roughly 35-40 clients. Its a jump and I realize that can be an extreme change but with the right equipment (gopher software, good mowers, and a truck) I think I will be able to accomodate the significant increase in responsibility. Opinions, would you recommend a jump like I listed?

Background info: I'm graduating from High school this year. I am going to apply to the University of Akron and kent State. Both of which are local colleges. I would attend that and then landscape on my free time. I would like to think with a few employees I could manage this?

10. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't need any employee's to do 35 yards.. maybe a helper from your school for $8per hr at the most.. but you wouldn't need employee's.. unless your talking big commercial contracts, which it doesn't appear that is your goal.