How to go about....

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TwinCities Property Maint, Mar 2, 2006.

1. TwinCities Property Maint

TwinCities Property Maint LawnSite Member

I was contacted by a Home Owners Association about a mulch job and I'm not sure what to do. The total area is about 12,000 sq. ft., it has 5 different beds and several of them have Purple Coneflower's, Columbine, Black-Eyed Susan, and Tall Prairie Grass. A few of the beds have nothing other than oak trees that are about 4" in diameter, these beds will be easy to do. On the other beds they want the perennials removed for maintenance reasons and then want them mulched. What is the best way to get rid of the perennials? Remove existing mulch, put down weed barrier and then put the new mulch over the top? Any suggestions on what and how to do this along with pricing would be greatly appreciated.

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

I would just dig down the few inches where the bulbs are and yank them. Then mulch.

As for the weed barrier I myself am mixed. Weeds do still seem to get through and it tears the barrier up getting them out. I doubt i would use barrier on a HMA contract like that.

3. LANDSCAPER30

LANDSCAPER30 LawnSite Member
    from IN

Ya, I would do the same thing. Dig and pull the existing perennials and put down a nice 2"-3" of mulch. Can the client install these perennials somewhere else?:usflag: