1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to got legit?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by meathead1134, Aug 11, 2004.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

This maybe the the wrong forum but I need as much info as possible. I was approached last night in picking up several rental properties that will need to be mowed. Alot of my customers pay me by check. I was wondering how do I go about becoming legit. Do I just get a DBA account or what should I do? I know nothing about this part of the business. I would appreciate all the help that you veterans can give me.
  2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Meathead, IF I WERE YOU, I would go and find an attorney skilled in incorporation, and incorporate under a good entity, like Type S or C corporation, A limited liability company ( L.L.C. ), or a Limited Partnership ( LP ). I also would seek the counsel of a competent experienced CPA as well... There will be some on this forum who will claim this is unnecessary, and to just go down to your local courthouse and get a DBA, a business account at the local bank, and to get the appropriate Licences... These people usually, Haven't been sued for everything they own after an accident involing them or one of their employee's injures someone either...The purpose of incorporating is primarily to protect your assets, and to take advantage of the corporate Tax structure.

Either way, God bless you and your business.

BTW NONE of the above is a substitute for adequate business liability insurance.. Just to be on the safe side.
  3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Meathead1134,

Click on the image below for more information on registering your business name.