How To Grow A Lawn Care Business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RPM1, Mar 6, 2007.

1. RPM1

RPM1 LawnSite Member

I have a real dilema, i own and operate an auto repair shop and i also have started a lawn care company as of last year ,i do not have enough accounts to strickly do lawn care nor do i have the time to profesionaly sit down and contact perspective clients. my question is this should i hire a salesman/worker that knows the in and outs lawncare industry to go out and sell my services to prospective clients? my thought is i could pay him to work 3 days a week to sell and after that pay him for mowing and doing lawn care services and hope that the person aquires accounts that would keep him employed full time and make some good money. what does everyone else do any ideas would be greatly appreciated need to make a decision very soon on what to do. thanks matt
  2. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

stay with your repair shop if your any good and go out and cause wrecks. j/k if you dont have the time for your self to do it and want to go big ya your gonna need to hire some one
  3. RPM1

RPM1 LawnSite Member

just do not want this thread to get lost i am really looking for some solid professional advice
  4. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Is your autoshop self supportive? like can you leave for a few weeks with out it falling apart? If so hire a general manager and place him in charge and start your lawn care business.
  5. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you just doing lawncare or do you offer landscaping service? If you do landscaping you could get a sales rep and pay him a commission.
  6. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

You shouldn't need to 'sit down and contact prospective clients', what about door hangers, postcards, ads in the newspaper, yellow pages, church bulletin?? It might be more worthwhile to get a few ads going, catch a few more clients, then hire someone once they truly are needed. Sure would suck to hire someone and not have enough work to keep them paid.
  7. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

RPM1, Honestly, I just don't really understand why you would want to venture into lawn care if you are already running an Auto Repair biz? Are you trying to start a new venture to support a existing one? You say, "I do not have enough accounts to strictly do lawn care nor do i have the time to professionally sit down and contact perspective clients". How the heck would you manage/run a repair shop, lawn care company, sales person/employee(s) and handle customers on both ends if you already don't have the time to go out and pound the pavement yourself? Sounds like a set up for nothing but head aches. My advice... stick to what you know, you'll be far more successful. If you think you have a dilemma figuring out what to do now, what do ya think is going to happen if you move forward on this? No offense, just my $.02.
  8. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

Some what true, but, he already stated that he doesn't have the time to meet potential customers. Who is going to answer calls from all the adds, door hangers, etc. and go out and give estimates? Just like any other business it requires 100% effort to become successful other wise its just treading water.
  9. Mr.Lawn

Mr.Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Florida

starting and growing a business is a 110% job. These folks here have really good insight on these things. I have learned alot from the folks here on this forum.
  10. cl&l c.c. Tx

cl&l c.c. Tx LawnSite Member

It doesn't really make sense to me if you have someone go and find the work then do it too. No offense, but would you go find somebody a job, do the job, and then hand them the check?