1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How To Handle Multiple Wires At The Transformer

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by MEXANDME, Mar 4, 2009.

1. MEXANDME

MEXANDME LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 300W MT transformer with a single common lug. I have two (2) #8 wires and one (1) # 12 wire leaving the transformer. All three (3) wires will not fit under the single common lug. I know there are several ways to handle this but, in the professional's opinions, what is the BEST way? Should I use a separate terminal block to terminate the three (3) wires on and then run one (1) #8 jumper to the transformer? Should I use a split-bolt clamps for the three (3) wires with a #8 pigtail to the transformer? Your opinions, please. (The reason I have two (2) #8 runs leaving the transformer is because the loop is 275 feet from the transformer and I have six (6) 20W bulbs. Three (3) on each #8 lead. The #8 runs for 125 feet of the 275 feet run and the balance is #10.)

Thanks,

Mex

2. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

You can just run an 8ga jumper wire and wire nut or connect to the end of that but be sure not to exceed the 380 watt rating of the 8ga cable.

3. MEXANDME

MEXANDME LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your reply. The total load on the transformer is only 140 Watts, i.e., seven (7) 20 Watt lights.

Thanks!!!

Mex

4. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I can see this thread turning into another review of "Big Lugs". :)

Mike Gambino has some pretty nice lugs on his transformer.
    I have always appreciated the big lugs on the Nightscaping Powercenters.

Who else out there has nice big lugs?

5. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Well personally I have big lugs.......LMAO

But seriously the only reason we have never been a fan of big lugs in a transformer is if you only run one cable into the lug you leave a lot of open room for arching which can result in a meltdown.....Hence why we have 3 smaller holes in one single lug....Our I-Force and NEW H-Force units have a larger single barrell lug though.....

6. MAGLIGHTING

MAGLIGHTING LawnSite Member

Thank you James that was very kind of you to say.

7. worx

worx LawnSite Senior Member

Joey, what is the new H force?

8. MAGLIGHTING

Possible although it has never once happened to me and I've been using big lug transformers for a very long time. You just have to be carefull that you have all of the wire strands inside the lug, torque it down and then give a firm tug on all wires to make sure they are tight. No problem.

9. LightYourNight

LightYourNight LawnSite Member

mike gambino what transformer are you using?

10. MAGLIGHTING

Gambino Magnum transformer.