How to handle this well?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK, I have this commercial account which is next door to a rental and the owner lives next to that. 1-2-3

Anyways, the rental has been empty a while and the landlord's adult grandson has decided to "sprout" an lawn care operation. So this guy is mowing the house and the rental.

Now to the problem, this guy should have his lawnmower license revoked for life! No idea what he's doing, butchering and scalping. Now for the worst part...

I happened to get behind this week and had to move this account to Saturday, so I wasn't there cutting mine when he was cutting as usual. He scalped it way over the property line and made a big mess of my account. He also has no idea how to turn a Z rider either! There are huge divots everywhere!

How in the world am I supposed to handle this one?

No I mean without saying and doing what I want to!!! How do you go about handling a situation like this without causing a rift between all parties involved?

I am beside myself mad and my customer is going to have an absolute fit when the business re-opens after the holiday.

2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't worry abou it.

Do you fell threatened by him?

3. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

just explain the problem then scare the **** out of the scrub.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Why would I feel threatened?

I do have that protective instinct about all my lawns though. You know, you feel like it's yours because you are the one responsible for it? So I feel invaded and whizzed off.

How could I just not worry about it????

Just wait until this happens to you one day....

5. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Just let the owners deal with it.

Or you could just let him take it inch by inch. Then in a few years he'd be mowing the whole prop. and you'd still get the check.:D

6. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I'm sure its not that bad.... and if it is, help the guy out. I'm 17 and i would be out of business if it weren't for help from this site and local lco's giving me a tip here and there.

I bet he thinks he's mowing correctly, you should put the guy in line.

7. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Explain to your customer why the butchered look on part of the property, not acknowledging you know who the butcher is.

Make a point of crossing paths with the butcher. In a very casual manner mention that you'd appreciate it if he wouldn't cross the property lines when he does his mowing.
    Just explain that you are the responsible party for it.
    Stay calm & cool, don't get baited into any more than that. He'll either understand, or he'll be a butt, if latter is the case, after you've calmly stated your case, walk calmly away. Then go to the gym and beat the sand out of the punching bag.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Its not your problem. As stated before, let the owner of the comm'l property deal with it. I would call him the next business morning and explain.

9. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

I think a combination. Let the owner know what is going on. Approach the other LCO in a friendly manner and if he is receptive give him a few subtle points. Seems with all the new businesses popping up that some of them have not done very much research in basic lawn care practices

Good Luck
    Rhett

10. Lawn Lizards

Lawn Lizards LawnSite Member

Envy - You need to say something to the rental prop landlord and also let the owner of the biz know, if you can, before Monday.

Remember, this is your business and you take care to the lawn maintenance at that place of business. You are in charge of keeping those grounds looking good. Now some idiot f**ked up the presentation of your lawn. I would be mad. This is making me mad just writing back to you.

I had a similar problem about a month ago. We have a small residential yard who is a sweet old lady. She pays for annual service and loves us. Anyway, the people next door cut their yard super low and it looks like ****.

Now, if you are facing the house: to the right side of driveway is grass for about 15 feet before prop line for the scalpers yard. I pull up one day and the neighbor had said f**k it and decided to go ahead and mow all the way to my client's driveway!

TALK ABOUT MAD?????

We mowed the rest of the yard as usual and then I got in the truck, grabbed a business card and wrote on the back:

"Please DO NOT MOW Ms. Flewwellin's side yard. You are cutting it WAY too low. Stop and the property line!"

and left it on the door.

I felt really good about it. I will never hesitate to defend my business and it's clients.