How to handle this..

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mrk'sLawn, May 24, 2006.

1. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

This is a tough one. How do you go into a job picking up where another LCO has left off? Got a call this evening from a business owner who hired a Co to do mowing and maintain their beds. When I showed up.. the other company still had some hand tools on the property. The owner told me the other guy said he would be back today but never showed.. The owner said he called but no one answered. I know, even just starting this year, sometimes things happen and you can't do what you say you will do when you say you will do it. Is this making any sense to anyone? Thanks.. BTW, it would be a great account for me to get. Did I just answer my own question?:hammerhead:

2. Lawn Simplicity LLC

Lawn Simplicity LLC LawnSite Member

I WOULD FIND OUT WHAT IT WAS THEY WANTED & PRICE ACCORDINGLY. I WOULD ACT AS IF THE OTHER CAT NEVER WAS THERE. I ALSO NEVER GET INTO ANY CONVERSATIONS INVOLVING OTHER COMPANIES. MY FIRST YEAR WHEN I COULDN'T BE THERE I ALWAYS CALLED. KEPT EVERYONES PHONE #'s WITH ME. ONCE THEY FIND OUT THEY CAN DEPEND ON YOU IT WON'T BE AN ISSUE. GOOD LUCK.
    LARRY:usflag:

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

How many days since the last time the other LCO was there? I know he should have called the client but I think it would be crappy taking it from him without knowing both sides the story. Maybe the other LCO had an emergency come up and just forgot/got tied up and did not call. Now if he has not been back in weeks I would feel different.How would you feel if you were the other LCO? Just my .02

4. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

What are you saying! Are you so lazy that you only type in caps? Oh by the way, what about the other (CATS) tools? Have you ever heard of an EMERGENCY! Let it play out for a day! Let the LCO explain! If your not professional, then at least act like it!

5. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

If the LCO's in New Port News are like you; I'm sending 4 crews tomorrow!

6. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

Thanks.. I was feeling a little weird about stepping on someones toes. I want to make a living, but not by being "that guy." The other crew or guy was there the day before yesterday. The business owner gave me the name of the company that was doing the work. Should I give them a call and see what their situation is? BTW, the woman is in the business of being a Psychic.. LOL!! You think she would have known what happened to the other crew! Thanks again for the advice. I thought there should be some type of proper etiquette for this type of thing.

7. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

do the work, if you don't the guy will just call someone else and have them do it.

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I feel that a contract is between me and the client. If a client hires me I go to work. I also have no interest or responsibility for any other contracts the client has with any other person. be it a LCO or a cleaning service or an elevator service contract, That is his business and only his business.
    How would I feel if I were the other LOC? First I would read my contract to see what was broke, than I would find out why my crew did not do the work. Than I would fire the clown that left my tool behind at a job. Than I would have a long talk with myself of why I did not run my company right.:hammerhead:

9. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

I agree 100%. I work for the client, I don't care about any other lco.

10. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I concour.