How to handle your schedule when it rains!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by K.Carothers, May 12, 2006.

1. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I would like to put a thread together on how to handle your route when it rains and you are behind a couple days. Since I and I'm sure many LCO's charge per cut(not per month) this thread will come in handy for all of us.

It's very important to get the lawn cut before the week is finished. If you let it go over to the next, you are out of a cut for the season = less cash for you and more work the next week.

I am making it company policy that if a week is missed because of weather, the customer will be billed more for the next cut. I still have not figured out what that price will be. It is only fair. The customer doesn't pay a week but we have to cut for the same price the next while the grass is 2x as long.

Any input is appreciated from all.

kc

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

when will you people learn......... YOU are not responsible for the weather!!!!!! you need to charge a flat rate, for a seasons worth of mowing. wether you're there 30 times, or 26, IT'S THE SAME PRICE!!!!! why are YOU taking the hit, cus of the weather?

3. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

We have been cutting in heavy rain the last 2 days. Customers expect weekly service and that's what we provide. Rain just slows us down a bit. This Sunday being mothers day, customers want their lawns looking good before then.

4. K.Carothers

Sorry BG but that method will not work here.

kc

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

then my advice is, go out of business. what are u going to do, when we have a very rainy season, and you are only able to mow 18-20 times, instead of 28-30?

6. K.Carothers

Bg, I understand the reasoning behind what you are saying. I agree that, that is the way to do it but I did not. I dont feel that I could do that right now in my market. That is why I started this thread for us that get paid per cut.

I'm sure you haven't been doing the flat rate from the beginning.

kc

7. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

Is cutting in the rain forbidden?

8. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

we only cut monday - thursday that why when it does rain we can still service all of our clients that week.

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

no sir, i havn't. and may you be wise and learn from my mistakes. i took a royal azz beating during rainy seasons in the past, and as i was going over the lawn, 4, 5, 6 times, and hauling away truck loads of grass, i was always saying to myself, "i didn't do this, i had nothing to do with this, why, am i working at a loss, because of it?" have i lost clients over the changes i made? sure i did. who cares. the customer is responsible for all the work that is needed to maintain his/her property. wether it be fallen limbs, helicopters, excessive rain, it's thier problem, they must pay. if they have to talk to someone about it, let them talk to god, he did it, not me

10. K.Carothers

What happens when it rains for 3 days???

Do you still get all lawns done that week?

If not, how do you bill - per cut or per month?

kc