How to hire and what to pay

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ALLFERRIS, Oct 18, 2004.

ALLFERRIS LawnSite Member

Does anybody have any advice on hiring dependable, trustworthy help and if so, what to pay. Im in a rapidly growing area and have already increased my workload for next year by 25%. My average property is 35.00 for residential and I have half a dozen commercial averaging 100.00 per cut. I mowed about 50 properties a week this year by myself and its getting tough.
  2. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

if you are planning on making a go of this lawn thing, with employees and all, you might as well accept the fact now that the turnover rate in this industry is ridiculously high. i look for someone who worked at least all of last season, has a car of their own, along with a license. has a belt and knows how to use it. i have them try out a mower or two, a trimmer. the real deal can pretty much start and operate all your standard equipment. all the while i'm talking to him, seeing if i like him. i would pay $10/hr for a good crewmember (remember, that actually costs you more than $10 per hour after the match). forget about training a noob. with your load, you don't have time for greenies. let your competition train them, pick them up a year or two later after they've quit.
  3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Find out what the competition is paying and offer a slightly higher wage. I think $10/hr is a good starting wage.
  4. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

The latest issue of Lawn &Landscape posts the going rate for different types of labor and workers in their state of the industry article. Also broken down by geographic region.
  5. lawn guy

lawn guy LawnSite Member

How do I get the magazine?
  6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I think you can get an online subscription for that one.