1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How to hire

Discussion in 'Employment' started by oneshot, Dec 20, 2009.

1. mikec_j

mikec_j LawnSite Member

I've hired people for retail and landscape, first try to get people you may know already then try to find people with experience, check references, then be very detailed as to what you expect from them, then watch them closely one guy I know shows them what he wants it to look like. Most people understand when your breaking someone in as long as it doesn't continue.

2. V & C Lawn Service

V & C Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Oneshot, the way to keep your customers when you hire new employees is to train them as to the way you expect the job to be done. Training! Training! Training!!!!!!!

3. albhb3

albhb3 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the first half of your statement, Ill give you that much, you have to remember many people at least in my neck of the wood run 10-12 hour days 4,5,6 days a week if need be I know personally after 12 plus hours its dinner shower and bed, then restart the process. I would have to say as far as risk taking hobbies, its probably more dangerous to drive to work everyday. IMHO however you do bring up valid points:)

4. NEWGUYRI

NEWGUYRI LawnSite Senior Member

oneshot, whats your business name. I spend a lot of time in that region at my lakehouse, and my dads entire family lives in Niagra, Welland, and Port Colborne.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  5. 80sturgisrider

80sturgisrider LawnSite Member

I know this is an older thread, but the question remains about how to hire good reliable help. A couple things I do:

1. Call it profiling if you want--this is my business and I have spent alot of $$$ and have worked hard to establish myself. Just take a quick glance into the potential employees car--if it is trashed, then he will probably not give you 100% on the job--likes to cut corners just to get the job done, not to mention how he will likely take care of your equipment. Facial piercings, derogatory tattoos, carries himself like a bum, etc--this is your company image we are talking about--make your own decision about this.

2. Drug tests. During the interview process, I tell potential employees that they are subject to a 9 panel drug test. This is how it works: I tell them to set back $40.00 from their first check to pay for the test. Tests are unannounced. On a given day, I will direct the employee to go see the doc for the drug test. If they pass, I refund the test cost. If they fail the test, they eat the $40.00 and are immediately terminated! Also, they are told that they are on the clock for the test period (pass or fail--cant do anything about labor laws). I have MANY potential employees tell me they can pass the drug test, then when I tell them how it works, those that KNOW they cant pass the test tell me they are not interested in my job anymore. It is rare these days to find a person who can even pass a drug test, so when I find one, I try to keep him. I can train someone to work to my high standards.

3. As far as I know, I pay better than any other lawn service in this area. My guys are on the clock from the time they get in the truck, til all the cleanup of equipment is completed at the end of the day. No experience pays $10.00 hr. More valid experience pays $12.00 average. Pay your guys well.

6. SchnabelLawnCare

SchnabelLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

$12 is good pay for an experienced worker? Wow...

7. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

The car look may not always work. I had a guy year before last that would bring a change of clothes to work so that not a speck of dirt got in his car, but he was the worst worker I ever had. I like your other points, though. Semper Fi.