1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to indetify this engine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by vball2116, Feb 9, 2005.

1. vball2116

vball2116 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone I have an older model 21' lawnmower that I got from a garage that my uncle works at. It runs well but all it needs is an air filter. I am not sure on what air filter to buy. The engine is a Briggs & Stratton3.5 HP Max. Also on the top of the motor is says Magnetron. Now there is no name of the deck of the mower, but its red and i have the model numbers on it. The model number is 2135-1001, the code is 7132 and the serial number is 610911. Now I don't think that information is needed for an air filter, but is there any way to check for the engine number or I can identify what the name of the mower is called? I will appreciate any info.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Take you filter and go to Home Depot..and get one as close as possible and just modify it to fit.
  3. vball2116

I would take it somewhere but it came with no air filter at all.

4. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Take the filter housing off and take that with you.
  5. bobcat2003

bobcat2003 LawnSite Member
    from alabama

I will look up yoour numbers at the shop tomorrow and let you know.
  6. vball2116

Hey bobcat, thanks for looking it up for me I really appreciate you going out of your way for me.

7. GetSomeGOJO

GetSomeGOJO LawnSite Member

Briggs and Straton is a great Co. to deal with. Every Briggs engine is easily ID'd by serial number/series type ect. Contact a local small engine service from time to time with a serial number and an authorized Briggs dealer will undoubtedly be able to tell you exactly what you need. I'm always amazed at what they can do with even partial serial numbers.
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Can you go back and check these numbers again and make sure you are taking the numbers off of the engine and not the mower. You should have a model (5 or 6 digits), type (4 digits a dash and then 2 digits) and code (8 digits). None of these numbers are making any sense.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

On the engine itself, there will be a set of numbers:

That will provide anything you need. You may even be able to plug those numbers at the Briggs website and print off a full parts breakdown from PDF files.