1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to install Decomposed Granite sidewalk.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by EagleLandscape, Sep 24, 2005.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I've got about 145 linear feet by 2.5ft wide that I need to put a decomposed granite sidewalk down. Can someone give me the rundown on the best way to do this. I figure I need 7.18 yards of decomposed granite, taking about a 7% settling rule into consideration. DO i just excavate the area, install green edging for the sides and dumb the granite in the trench I dug and just tamp it down. Do i need to install a barrier below the granite?

I've attached the drawing in PDF format so you can see what I've got in mind. I've seen a ton of these done, just never done myself.

Attached Files:

2. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

Pretty much. We've put down a lot of this stuff and what works for us is to excavate about 6-7", then put down about 4" of limestone or ca6, compact, then install only about 2-3" of the decomposed granite, compact again. After that is a matter of taste. You can either leave it as is, or lightly rake the top to loosen up the first 1/2 inch for a rougher look (my preference), or install another inch (you'll have to leave room) for an even "crunchier" feel under your feet. In general, the more traffic that you will have, the more compacted you will want to leave it.

One more thing. I've found it beneficial to leave the edging about 1/2 to 1" higher than the granite. It gets kicked around alot and makes the surrounding mulch/soil/etc. pretty messy after a while.

Good luck

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

hey great, thanks! I bet that limestone is probably a little cheaper as well. It's always good to save a little money here and there. Thanks again!