How to ..install garage door springs on gat or trailer??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by leeslawncare, Jan 26, 2002.

1. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

O.K. I have did the search guys .But no luck .I read here a long while back (way long) someone here told us That they used garage door springs on the gate
    of their trailer?I just got a 12 foot trailer an it has a gate on the back.I have the springs ....Now my question is HOW?Thanks :Lee :confused:

2. jack D.

jack D. Banned

U-bolts.

dscf0040.jpg

3. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

I'v seen the same system but a better design.Install the spring inside of a pvc pipe,lay horz. on the trl. frame, install a roller on the end and a wire from the spring to the tailgate.No spring to get in the way.

4. leeslawncare

thanks jack.1 question.does the gate stay down when you put it down?what keeps it from wanting to pop back up from the spring tention?

5. MowJo

MowJo LawnSite Member
    from KY

There are (2) easy methods. There are pictures to guide you at the "ezgate" site and "Eric Elms" site. Use the search feature and you can find both sites right here.

A word of caution: BE SAFE, use a safety wire through your springs or sleeve them in steel tubing. A broken spring or a gate suddenly falling could be bad news.

Good Luck!

6. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Defintely run a steel braided safety cord through the middle of the spring. If the spring breaks, it'll safe yor butt (and an expensive/painful visit to the dentist to get all your knocked out teeth replaced).
    We use a similar set-up. It works very well - but does take some fine tunning and adjustment to each individual trailer.

NOTE: I was informed that this system (Exposed Spring) is called a "finger pincher" and is outlawed by OSHA. So, if you live in an are where OSHA does a lot of safety inspections, cover the spring with PVC, an innertube, etc... OR look in the Northern Tools Catalog to see how the system they sell for $140 works. It's easy to make yourself and looks like it works just fine. Good Luck.

7. leeslawncare

thanks guys ..Erics site !now i rember where i seen it before. I'll check it out

8. leeslawncare

O.K. guys i put my springs on today! They work great maybe it will save my back this year.I just gotta get some p.v.c. pipe to enclose them in or should i use steel?either way they work well Thanks again Lee

9. MowJo

MowJo LawnSite Member
    from KY

The reason for steel is durability. Odds are at some point pvc will get broken. Do it right the first time and be done with it.

10. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I used a 10' piece of PVC Grey Electrical. its held to frame by
    Elec beam clamps and pipe hangers. I have angle iron side rails.
    I used The picture of EZ-Gate for the pattern. Or buy one of their units. Total cost about even if you figure your time. The Ez-gate
    comes complete. Ed