How to install sod on a curved edge

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by recycledsole, Sep 25, 2013.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

Hey guys just wondering what's the easiest way to install sod on a curved edge? Like for example the flower be around a tree.
    Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Cut to size with a machete.
    easy-lift guy

3. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Layout the sod so it overlaps the bed. You can then use a hatchet to cut the outline. Another useful tool that the name of slips my old mined right now has a handle a little longer than an ax but the blade is curved and the cutting edge is on the bottom. Simply walk along and cut along the edge.

4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

When ordering the sod, get as many straight pieces as you need and be sure to order a few extra corners and curved pieces. They will know what youre talking about.

5. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.benmeadows.com/bank-blad...61300&ef_id=UOH7qQAAGqII1UR8:20130925115720:s. This tool is very handy. Ditch bank blade.

6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Stick edger.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I use a bed edging tool

8. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Use a large seraded kitchen knife. Buy a 5 pack and use a new one as needed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. BlazersandWildcats2009

BlazersandWildcats2009 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Looks like you chose the easy route. These guys already gave you some great tools to use. I can't think of the name, but I picked up a large knife from HD almost looks like a huge steak knife, except made for utilityies (not a utility knife) (excuse me I can't think of the name, long night and just woke up.)

But you'll be grateful you decided to sod and it's much easier than you ever thought. It was my first time laying it also and had no issues. Just watch a Youtube video and make sure you stagger them like your laying bricks. Start with the longest edge in the lawn.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

LOL

Ginsu, guaranteed for life and 3 days.