1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how to keep a walk behind secure on a trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bettergrass, Jul 19, 2005.

1. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

Just a question....as of now my gravely wb is secured by placing it into 5th gear and letting the brakes off as if you wanted it to drive....and just for security i put a brick behind one of the tires.

Is this how most of you secure your wb's in the trailer, or is there some other way? I have a feeling that using the trans of the lawn mower as a parking brake isnt the best thing for it.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

On my prolines, I set the parking brake.
    But remember to drive real nice because slam on brakes and the wb will hit the front of your trailer (nevermind damage) and this will PUSH your truck several feet!

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Tie-down straps...that's what they're made for. Keeps things from rolling around.
  4. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

Setting the brake works for me
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

yeah u just gotta learn to accelerate easy, drive slow and keep ur distance because tie-down straps or whatever, sooner or later you forget to secure it and careful driving will pay off in more ways than one.
  6. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Tie-downs, set the brake and put tranny in gear. I sometimes use wheel chocks like you use under you tires. You can also buy the Pro Lockers. (I think that's the name.) Saw them at the Expo last year. They looked good but I don't have the extra cash. They had mowers on a trailer, hanging by the tougne from a crane. Looked impressive.

7. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

I already accelerate easy and drive slow because of the gas prices :D
  8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I use a ratchet tie down strap up front and set the parking brake. I don't put it in gear, it may damage the trans. I have had the back hop around if I hit an unexpected bump just right. I've seen a lot of guys turn their wb's sideways on the trailer with no tiedowns in place. I guess that would work if it's wedged in there. I really like the looks of those pro lockers. I'll probably be getting some of those pretty soon. The tie downs stretch when they get wet.
  9. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

If it is a belt drive, it may still move while in gear, if the bakes are not adjusted. Tie down straps work well. Not driving like an idiot also helps.
  10. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

Gorilla Straps. (AKA large, green ratchet straps) Two on each mower. One on front, one on rear of each. Pretty sure they will break and both mowers will become missiles if I ever have a serious crash though.