how to keep barn/storage pest free?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turboawd, Oct 27, 2007.

1. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

i have an old barn that is dry inside.
    currently there is a dirt floor. i was thinking to spread some gravel or ag lime down for the floor. what is best?

also, whats the best way to keep bugs and little animals(mice, chipmunks,etc) out? pesticides?
    i was thinking of maybe parking some vehicles in there, but i dont want to have mice chew things up.

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Your Dept. of Agriculture won't allow you to store pesticides in there, because of the dirt floor. They're concerned about the possibility of you spilling liquid products that will leach down into the water table. They want to see a concrete floor with no drains in the area you store, mix, or load chemicals in.

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

He asked if using pesticides would be a way to keep the "pests" out. I don't believe he was wanting to store pesticides in there.

4. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

exactly :)

5. put a cat in there.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Barncats. Nothing like a couple of cats to keep a barn free of varmints.

7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Just ensure that they are spayed/neutered and that you have supplemental (healthy with complete nutrition) food available to them and also a nice clean supply of water. Cats will chase and kill more mice/rats if they are fed regularly because the mouse (and any other "pest" that moves) then becomes a play thing and not just food. If they have to look at the mice as their only source of food, they'll ration them out to make them last, instead of catching and killing them one right after another.

8. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

You're right. It might be a good time for me to abscond. Sorry about that.

9. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

besides cats, what other options?

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Put out some bait and do a perimeter pest application.