1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to keep clippings from blowing

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kc2006, Apr 16, 2008.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Looking for advice on how to keep the grass clippings and other debris I haul from flying out of the bed all over the place while driving.

Are the small sides that people build helpful for this? Like 2 or 3, 2x10's, the usual bedsides that people build.

My big thing is, I want good visibilty, so if I go with sides, I'll do lexan at the front of the bed so I can still see out the back.

Where does all the turbulence come from in a truck bed? In other words, if I did the front section of the bed and taper the sides halfway down the bed, would that work?
  2. Utility Dave

Utility Dave LawnSite Member

Tarps with bungy cords

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

kurt go to harbor frieght and get a mesh tarp they are under 10 dollars.
  4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Yup all you need it a tarp
  5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

yuck i was hoping you guys wouldnt say a tarp. I have a tonneau cover on the truck that I used to have rolled up, then I'd just roll it out and lay it over top the clippings/leaves and that worked pretty good, I just hoped there was something like the sides where i wouldnt have to mess with tarps. Moving the tarp takes time, I try to trim all the time I can while out mowing. I know it may only take a few seconds but still, it bugs me.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Check out landscaperpro.com ( i think that's right) looks for a mesh tarp they sell called a "bulldog" tarp. I have one on my dump bed, and it's still holding together some 6+ years later, and I ABUSE it. THey are really light weight, and to make it even easier to flip up and back, or even roll up, I attach a length (bed width) of 1" SCH 40 PVC pipe to the end of the tarp with bolts. Works like a champ!

A normal tarp, be-it a cheapo blue one or one of the high dollar canvas heavy ones will NOT last long when driving unless they are tied down in MANY places. I tried them in the past, and shreded them in a couple days, even a $45 canvas tarp. The mesh tarp is the ONLY way to go. I don't even have to really tie mine down in the back. I have it attached to the front on the bed and just the weight of the PVC pipe usually keeps the back end of it in place. No it dosn't keep 100% of the grass from blowing out, dry brown grass (line from first cuts in the spring) and leaves are almost impossible to keep contained 100%.

Here's a link! http://www.landscaperpro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=481
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

But... If they blow clear out doesn't that save time, too?