1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to Keep Cool In The Heat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfman33, Aug 5, 2003.

1. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

OK, how does everybody keep cool in the heat out there. If not cool, at least comfortable. I Got some neck flaps, and I still get headaches. mother in law got me one of those wraps that you soak in cold water and it meant to keep you cool all day. well half hour into the first lawn of the morning and it was just a warm sweat cloth. I must get like 3 headaches a week with the heat.

Was just wondering what you all do out there so you can just keep plugging on.

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

You know what I do? I know you can relate because you are in Orlando :) I simply stay out of the hottest lawns between noon and 3 pm from about June through September. Often times we will just go to the house for a couple hours and just work later into the evening. It's not an option everyday and not an option for everyone, but if we can that's what we do. We'll go do the nice shady lawns and take advantage of what they have to offer. If there are none to take advantage of that day, we'll just wait til the sun isn't directly overhead :) That explains why you'll see me on here at odd times in the afternoon :D We are very locally based and I do not have a single lawn that takes me more than 17-18 minutes to get to. Most are within 10 minutes.
  3. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

I actually like to take a cooler along...one not to drink from and 1 to drin from...the 1 not to drink from does have ice in it, and I like to bring some small bath towels along for the ride..I either use my hands and scoop water on to my head(may go into shook)lol or I use teh wash cloth...Keeps ya cool for the majority of the day...longer than your mother-in-laws idea I think.... Be Safe out there
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i cut naked, well, i wear boots
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yea, but if u do this, stay away from the fishpond!
  7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Soak my hat in water. Drinks lots of water. Light colored clothes. In my region, and with my light load, I have plenty of opportunity to avoid the peak heat. I glad that I don't live in Florida.
  8. hunter

hunter LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I wear a big cowboy hat and line it witha paper towel for each house. This helps keep all the sweat from my eyes which makes it just nicer to be outside. Lots of cold ice water. I add lemon juice to the water to help my body hydarte the water faster into my body. And of course take more breaks then normal.

We are having 98+ temp with a heat index of 108 - 112 each day. Face it it's hot in Houston.
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I am not a doctor and I don't play one on TV :D but if you are getting headaches that often you are not drinking enough clear fluids throughout the day and might need to wear safety glasses that are tinted to protect your eyes from the sun.

10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Gravely man is correct. also you are loosing alot of electrolytes which could cause it also. HYDRATE or die. CAMELBACK works for me. Right there all the time and doesnt bounce off of the mower.