1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to keep customers from cancelling?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Nov 11, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I had a few nice sized leaf removal jobs scheduled for this week and next weekend. Both have canceled, The cancellation I got yesterday was from a single lady who has no time to do it herself and she is a millionaire, Iv'e know this lady for 20 years. She called yesterday and told me that 2 kids from the neighborhood were doing 3 houses in a row and she will keep my card for future reference.WTF! I loose a major clean up to a couple of little Johnny's? The other guy I knew was going to be a waste of time. I had a feeling he would cancel, he ok'd us to mow this year but at the last minute he canceled that. But we were to do a quick mow and bag the leaves (there weren't that many) and blow out 2 small flower beds. He signed a contract for a whole amount of no more than $75.00 he called and said the wind blew all the leaves away, I drove by and there were just as many if not more leaves yesterday. I can't believe how little people are willing to pay anymore for tough manual labor. I started pre qualifying cutomers on the phone, when they call I state that we are strictly by the hour when it comes to leaves but I can come out for a rough etimate. I then ask if they are willing to spend 300-400 dollars if it gets to be that high and they all about have a heart attack on the phone. I don't get it what am I doing wrong? I see other companies loaded full of leaves in thier leaf trucks and mine stays empty. Any thoughts?

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I think that people do get shocked by the cost of fall clean ups. I have a very low return rate on new quotes for fcu's. I also charge per hr. I think I've lost a couple to low bidders that will take away the leaves and not charge for it by dumping on their own property.
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Yea I dump them on my own property, that keeps that extra 50 in my pocket.
    To be honest I hate leaves, and only do them for my few full service clients .

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I dump on my property too. But, I CHARGE for it.payup
  5. Tyner Lawn Service

Tyner Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

Pulled up to an account yesterday and it was all cleaned up. This was a 5 yr old mowing account that I never had problems with. They had some kid do it even though they knew I would be there. It wasn't the money their just kinda goofy about things. Kiss off $150 for 2 hrs work. Have had a couple of friends tell me they had cancels for no reason.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I have this one lady that has the annoying habit of doing some of the work herself "because it was a nice day" I clean her place weekly, it gets real bad. Learned to show up on Thur/Fri, that way if its a "nice day" over the weekend, there isn't a whole lot for her to do yet :D
  7. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I only do leaf cleanups for those with a service agreement.They're charged throughout the year,added to their weekly mowing price.It didn't take long to realize that no one was willing to pay a fair price for cleanups alone,in my area.Shrub trimming however, brings in more dollars per amount of work and is asked for more often than cleanups.
  8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have this problem but if it became a problem I think I'd simply institute a non-refundable deposit policy.

"Ok, Mrs. Smith. The quote for the entire leaf clean-up is $550.00. If you want to get started, we just need a $100 deposit to reserve a date on our schedule."

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I used to lose a cleanup to the kid down the block now and then
    i solved that real quick
    i would call the customer and ask what happend and they would tell me kid did it i said thats great get the kid to plow your snow and mow your grass next year and oh yeah that fire wood u wanted i dont think ill have time to bring that out either
    that way they got the hint i did it all or nothing and if i lost them i didnt care i found someone else to take there place that wanted my service
  10. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

I only do fall cleanups that get the year round package and that cost is figured in. Everyone else thinks it is too much money or something. I just started this year taking piles away for $75 a truck load. This works out pretty good. They get them to the curb then i come and pick them up.