How to keep dogs out of the beds.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Nova, May 31, 2004.

1. Nova

Nova LawnSite Member

I have a customer who has two dogs and one of them loves to dig the crap out of the beds in the backyard, she also like to rip apart plants.

It's a small backyard with pool and patio, beds all around and a small 15ft x 15x patch of lawn. The lawn is already toast since they don't clean up after the dogs until I come, so there are black patches all over it.

Her main concern is keeping the dog out of the beds, is there anything we can use, maybe something to mix into the soil or a spray that will keep the dog out of the beds?

2. Ice_Gargoylle

Ice_Gargoylle LawnSite Member
    from indiana

try a rodent repellant, or even shower soap or dish soap. we put a bar of shower soap in our flower beds to keep deer out, if it smells bad -they wont dig in there.

3. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Master Gardner Jerry Baker has some interesting concoctions to keep animals away. I believe they involve human urine. :eek:

Randy

4. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

There is a product for horses called "no chew". it's for spraying on horse blankets and bandages. Spray that in there and they won't go in there.

5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Spread cocoa hulls as mulch. They will be in the beds for a day or two, but after that, they won't be around to enjoy it anymore.

I'M KIDDING, BTW!!!!

Have they thought about invisible fencing yet?

Dan

6. grassroots1993

grassroots1993 LawnSite Member

There is another way but it takes time. Every time the dog digs a hole put some of his poop in the hole cover it up. The dog will dig that hole until it reaches the poop, then it will dig some where else, do the same thing and so on.

7. LakeMurrayLawns

LakeMurrayLawns LawnSite Member

Invisible fence is the only way to go. If you put anything in there that smells it will attract them to the bed, not repell them away.

8. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

We sell a product by the Liquid Fence brand for cats and dogs. You spray it and somehow it repels the animals away from the beds and plants. It has some kind of pepper concentrate or something in it that the animals will turn their nose at.

Jason

9. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Moth Balls....works for cats and other small animals.

10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

the lowes near me sells a product that says it repells dogs and cats