1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to keep employees over the winter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky05, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

I have 3 people that work for me 2 of them are just part-timers that are in college and work anywhere between 10-20 hrs a week. However, I have this other guy who is a really good worker, he comes to work on time everyday, never calls off always tells me at least 4-5 days in advance if he needs a day off. My question is, I work from mid march to mid november. After that I really dont do anything how am I going to keep this guy interested next year? I was thinking of possibly paying him a salary and just dividing the amount over 12 months but I dont know. Just looking for some other suggestions anyone have any?
  2. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

my guys collect unemployment all winter and they love it.. i dont think they would want to work anyway....
  3. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

If your guys are collecting unemployment then you are paying more in unemployment taxes. You should subtract that amount from them when they are working. They should be able to find a temporary job during the winter inatead of mooching off the system. Don't encourage this behavior it only hurts the tax paying small business.
  4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

oh yea know thats legal... everything hurts the tax paying small business nowadays. if this is something i have to do to retain key employees then so be it. a few percent more in unemployment insurance isn't gonna kill me....

5. Diablo

Diablo LawnSite Member

Hey Husky, do you provide any snow services? I dont know much about the market for that in Pittsburgh but if you get alot of snow you may want to invest in an extra truck with a plow or just throw a plow on your 1 ton and let the employee make some cash when it snows. You could pay him pretty well each snowfall and still make a pretty good stash for yourself without getting out of bed. good luck!:usflag: