How to keep grass out of beds without bagging?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, May 29, 2008.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Is there such thing as a remote controled mulch plate or one that connects to a lever that u can just lift or let down on a 36 wb? It's the only thing I can think of to keep grass out of some of my customer's beds. Other that that I'd have to bag a lot of it to avoid doing this. I cut to where the discharge is away from the beds 2x but still, on the 3rd pass I don't want to go again in the same way, and it still gets in the beds. Once the grass is in mulch, my blower doesn't discriminate well and it's nearly impossible to blow only the grass out. With a mulch plate with a control button I could just drop it down briefly while I'm approaching a bed, and then as I pass it, let it back up. It would be much easier than putting the maching in neutral, lowering the plate, then back in gear, then back in neutral, over and over.

But how does a Scag wb mulch anyway?

2. browningv308

browningv308 LawnSite Member

hey good guestion i mow a lot of apartments and around behind them is about 15 to 20 feet of grass and they all have junk from the tennants and glaas sliding doors i have to mow with the discharge away i end up wasting a lot of time going back to the end to start my next run i have a 48 exmark w/b

3. browningv308

browningv308 LawnSite Member

ive been looking around for some kind of electic arm that would work off a small 12 volt battery that i could control with a rocker switch on my dash next to the throtle or something any body now where i can find something like that thanks

4. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

they have them for walkbehinds. i have one on my lazer. its not perfect but does save a lot of cleanup.

5. green-pa

Really? So u just end up cutting in the same direction each time? Guess in some places lines don't matter so much, as like behind apts. But I don't think that would work with these guys, but maybe it would'nt be so bad.

I also need to find out hot to keep grass from sticking to the vinyl siding on a few people's homes when it's wet from rain. It's a B to get off and my hand held blower won't get it all unless I stand there for about 10 minutes are something ridiculous. A hose would be faster. 2x avoids most of the grass but on the 3rd time around it's still not far enough. On small homes 3 lines in the same direction, circling a home doesn't leave much space for straight main lines either verticle, perpendicular, horizontal, whatever.

6. AboveTheCut

7. green-pa

Is this just a chute though? They keep it low, but on the 3rd pass, is it low enough to keep it out of beds on a 36 inch with a Kawi? Or is this a mulch plate you're talking about?

8. green-pa

9. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

10. AboveTheCut

ive had many scags and many exmarks. i like the exmarks better, personally. with an exmark you can install the ezchute and when not in use its out of the way. when up,you can still use an accelerator bagger with no mounting hardware needed. its awesome. and, i can use my accelerator bagger on my lazer and turn around and use it on my walkbehind in 2 seconds. its an expensive bagger but worth every penny.

the other alternative: why dont you just put a mulch kit on your scag?