How To Keep Grass Out of Mulch Beds???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenBlade, Jul 14, 2013.

1. GreenBlade

GreenBlade LawnSite Member

I have the hardest time keeping grass both from the discharge on my mower, and just from trimming out of mulch beds. I see other people's lawns & competitors lawns that look great, very clean. Whereas my own yard, which should be the best IMO being what I do, looks very messy with grass in the beds as well as the grass that grows as a result.

Just wondering if there was some sort of trick to this. I'd greatly appreciate it!

2. C & T Landscaping

C & T Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

OCDC for the mower

3. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

trim right to left

4. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

Very simple trick....Dont shoot grass into the beds!

Mow perimiter laps of the lawn blowing the grass in when you start. I mow 2 laps but the distance that your mowr discharges may vary. I also have a OCDC so I close that when near beds.
    Also when doing your back and forths you can start at the left of the lawn or the right(when mowing stripes vertical to the road). If there is a flower bed along the front of the house, i will always mow left to right. That makes it so when I am turning around by the beds the chuts is pointed into the lawn, rather than at the bed.
    Trimmer heads turn counter clockwise. If you trim with the 12-3 section of the trimmer it will throw the clippings foward. If you contact the grass in the 6-9 section it will throw the clippings backwards. I walk backwards as I trim, and trim with the 6-9 oclock section of the trimmer. This throws the trimmings away from the beds.
    When all done use you blower and remove any stray clippings.

5. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a walker or navigator

6. bln

bln LawnSite Senior Member

Keep your right shoulder against any beds and buildings. when you make turns with the mower make sure the discharge chute is pointing away, if unavoidable pick up the deck so nothing gets shot into the beds.

7. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

Bag and learn how to trim properly.

8. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Mulch kit for the win.

9. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Power OCDC or Mulch Kit and blow the mulch beds out... Just run the blower at 1/4 throttle while going in a circular motion in the mulch beds.
    If it's really that bad then just re-mulch the beds and get a OCDC and do the blower trick each time.

10. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

Dont have any employees cut grass haha. That's the only time grass is in mulch beds for me , no matter how many times I tell the guys that. :cry: