How To Keep Grass Out of Mulch Beds???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenBlade, Jul 14, 2013.

1. smokenjoe_10

smokenjoe_10 LawnSite Member

OCDC best thing and trim first helps keep you away a bit more.

2. GVL LLC

GVL LLC LawnSite Member

dont point discharge chute at beds and trim from right to left as the heads turns counterclockwise and will shoot the grass to the left keeping it out of beds and then go around with blower at idle to clean up any stray clippings. works every time.

3. Stars & Stripes Landscaping

Stars & Stripes Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT

What is OCDC?

4. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Operator controlled discharge chute. Have them on all our mowers. I won't use a mower without one.

5. GreenBlade

GreenBlade LawnSite Member

Operator Controlled Discharge Chute. Basically a lever or button that lets you close the chute on the side so there is no clippings that blow out.

6. Marshmallow

Marshmallow LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

If you practice with the trimmer you can throw the grass a certain way. If you tilt it the right way you can even throw it into the air pretty far! Try trimming right to left with a left side cant on the trimmer as to throw the grass down and to the left.

7. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Scott's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the others use a OCDC or mulch kit. While trimming go from left to right walking forward using left hand for the throttle .

8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

9. Stars & Stripes Landscaping

Stars & Stripes Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT

10. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

If I have to turn towards a bed(left), I will turn to the right and back up in order to not shoot clippings in bed. There are some places where you cant turn certain ways in order to avoid it, like with beds on each side of a grass strip, and for those I either bag or brings the mower down to 2/3 throttle and blow the beds gently afterwards.