How to keep machines looking new

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liquidfast, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I know it's unavoidable but is there ANY way to keep them looking newer longer?

I notice that after only one season, they turn rusty and beat up...I was thinking of applying some sort of clear film....anyone tried it?

2. DOLMARatOS

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

We use Fluid Film on just about everything and it looks better and lasts longer than wax. Spray it on or wipe it on. Plastic, metal, painted surfaces, anything.

Also. I had to re-make a plow-mount bracket this winter...all good an wonderful but I forgot to paint it and didn't notice till it was all installed.

I sprayed it with fluid film. No rust at all yet and this thing has been through salt slush like you wouldn't believe!

my $0.02

3. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Ya know, Ive seen the advertisement for fluid film a zillion times and not once did I click on it cuz I didn't know what it was.....mAybe they should advertise it as: Fluid film, keep it looking newer, longer.

4. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

The best way to keep machines looking newer longer is to never let anyone else drive/use them.

One reason why commercial machines are built so heavy is because employees run them hard. You know what an employee says when he runs into a post or stump? "Oops"

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I use tarps a lot in my business...
    Generally, I buy either the 6x8 or the 8x10 sizes, Cordura or Dernier at Northern.
    They're not cheap, but they're tough and easy to deal with.
    I use them to haul piles of clippings, leaves, brush, whatever...

After a good season's use, the tarp generally develops weaknesses (the material is thinner and gets some small holes in it).
    So over the years, I've built up a fair amount of used tarps (I dunno, 1 or 2 a year, over 4-5 years, I think I have about 6-8 of these things now).

These used tarps I then use to keep my equipment covered most anytime it sits.
    Also, the 8x10 that I keep in the truck for work serves a secondary purpose as I spread it out over top of all my stuff in the bed, covers everything up and it helps a LOT!

Last but not least, proper care and careful operation, I agree that the owner keeps stuff looking newer about twice as long...

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I just don't know. This is where I come in to the dilemma of wasted time. Yes I perform a religious maintenance program and yes I spray off the mowers when they need it but to keep them looking show room is ridiculous. They are a tool and proper maintenance is needed but I don't go and paint a shovel after I use it to dig a hole. I have better things to do.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I keep my machine clean and just do my best to maintain it and not run it into posts, fences, mailboxes etc. I also keep my equipment inside in my garage or storage area when they are not being used. I don't let my equipment sit out in the weather.

8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

After winterizing my aerator and bed edger, they both got a nice Fluid Film bath. They shine better than new and I know the rust will stay away.

9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

In the winter we use Fluid Film on everything (deck, wheels, handle bars etc) in the summer we spray everything down with silicone after we wash the stuff down, that keeps everything from rusting. Just spraying everything down and drying at least once a week helps a great deal.

10. Jay's Lawncare

Jay's Lawncare LawnSite Member

I am going to have to give this fluid film a try