How to keep spindle from turning during blade removal.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LarryF, Nov 17, 2012.

1. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Cheater bar ...4/4
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I've had bolt heads on blades wear down enough that I almost couldn't remove them...
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Rosebud....heat the head of the bolt quickly..
    As the bolt heats up ...it will lengthen and get loose enough to wrench off...

4. an impact is my best friend.

5. Mike NY

Mike NY LawnSite Member
    from NY.

Tightening the belt at the pully sometimes will give you enough resistence to keep the pully from turning while you loosen the bolt. Spinning of the pully is usually a worn belt and pully.
    Never sieze bolts once you get them out.

6. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

Great advice. I use it all the time.

7. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks everyone for the responses. My previous experiences with impact wrenches haven't been very good. Seemed more like a toy than a tool. But I had only tried battery powered ones that provided only a couple of hundred foot-pounds of torque. Here's an air-impact one for a hundred bucks I found with a 3/4" drive that will put out a thousand foot-pounds so maybe I'll get one of these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...rter-inch-heavy-duty-impact-wrench-66984.html

I already have a 135 PSI compressor and a set of 3/4" sockets, so I'm already more than half way to a solution. All but one of the reviews written about this one were very positive, but if anyone has one and has a complaint, I'd like to hear it.

8. you don't need a 3/4" impact to take blades off, get a 1/2".

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the 1000 pounder. I sell spindle assemblies and could offer quantity discounts.

Oldtimer

10. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems that there is a difference of opinion as to what I should get. I tend to believe that bigger is better. The price for the one I mentioned is close to that of a 1/2" one. Is there any good reason for not getting the 3/4"?