how to keep st augustine from going into neighbors bermuda

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cpt87gn, Dec 5, 2009.

1. cpt87gn

cpt87gn LawnSite Member

im thinking about installing st augustine sod on my house which iv never done before but i live in a new subdivision and everybody has bermuda how do i keep it from going into the 2 neighbors lawn the back yard is no problem because of the wood fence

and what should i do should i rent a sod cutter should i put down somekind of soil down before the sod and some starter fertilizer thank you for the help
  2. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

The problem is how to keep the bermuda out of the aug. There is no chemical to kill burmuda that you can get but roundup and that kills every thing. Your only chance is to run sometype of boarder along the whole property line. Even then you'll probly have issues. Bermuda seeds real bad and the wind, rain, and mower will spread that crap like crazy
  3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I think you might have it backwards. You might be better off having Bermuda grass. That stuff will spread under driveways, a fence sure isn't going to stop it.
  4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I disagree. Do some more research and you'll find your incorrect.
  5. CkLandscapingOrlando

Your right. I meant that could be sprayed on the Aug with no ill effect. My point is that any thing you use to control it will hurt the aug. At least so say's every spray company in central florida that I've posed this question to.
  6. jtk47

jtk47 LawnSite Member
    from MS

i was told that tenacity has been shown to knock back bermuda in st. augustine. but i believe it can only be used on sod farms, not sure about this. Might want to check into it. But my advice, if u live around bermuda your going to have a heck of a time keeping it out of your yard as aggressive as it is (some studies say it can spread over 6 feet a year). So i would plant it. Zoysia might be a possible if your totally against bermuda because of how thick the grass grows.
  7. CkLandscapingOrlando

Yea I'm sure the sod farms have access to something. But so far as IFAS and every spray tech I've talked to theres nothing they can spray that they know of. I've hit yards 3 times with gly on a 2 week cycle before a re-sod and still had it coming up in spots. Mixed at 8oz per 3 gal
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Can't image why you would want to go against the bermuda.......can't keep them out of each other I have tried to do it for one customer. You can spray the St. Augustine with msma every time it gets into the bermuda will have to do it over and over. Don'e try to put a border in, that looks ugly and it will go under the cedar fences.
  9. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

fencing won't do anything but waste your money - use a sod cutter or shovel to make a border between the properties and keep it edged, plant that area so it doesn't look bad. I believe that the st. augustine grows thicker than bermuda, which would mean that you shouldn't have too much trouble with bermuda seed germinating in it, that is unless your st. augustine gets a bare area or starts to struggle with fungus you will most likely have either weeds or bermuda (considered a weed too in They are both aggressive grasses and will probably run together with out a defined grass-less border between houses.

As far as the install, I would kill your current grass and wait as long as possible (1-2 weeks is good) for the chemical to leech out of the soil. You can hire someone to scrape the yard for you with a Harley rake or whatever they use for site prep, or rent your own machine to do it. Sod cutter will take a long time & lots of labor. I wouldn't suggest amending the soil unless you are planning on tilling in the amendment, in which case you will need to add 4 inches and till to a depth 12'' (12'' because that is going to be about your max root depth of the grass). If you simply amend the top of the current soil without tilling, your roots will most likely grow shallow and will struggle during dry & hot weather. Most of the time we lay sod, we lay on native soil. Use a starter fertilizer at no more than the rate shown on the bag.
  10. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Just let it mix it all looks green from the street.