How to keep Trailer Safe

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DAZ982500, Apr 16, 2005.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 LawnSite Member

I own a 5x12 trailer that I use for my equipment.I can store the trailer I my own property due to lack of space.Driveway has plow nxt to garage my wifes car any my truck has to be parked on a side street.These are the alternatives one either to keep the trailer hooked up to truck equipment would come off and lock the trailer onto truck.Which means I would have to run around with this together which seems not so practical.Second I can drop off the trailer behind a family members business but I am afraid someone would spot in and steal it.Does anyone have any ideas how I might secure behind this building such as a lock for the wheels etc.Don't think I can chain it to anything besides that cut it anyway.ANY THOUGHTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

DAZ., they make a type of lock for the tounge of trailers so no one could cut it (the lock) so they can't hook up to their trailer. Do a search on trailer accessories maybe you will find something in there.

3. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

do you have any self storage places nearby. as we expanded an hour south of us, we store 3 enclosed trailers in one and have a 20x10' unit to keep supplies in. the monthly rent is cheap and near 24 hour access. they have cameras and the chain link fence and barb wire around it. still not a problem after three years.

4. DAZ982500

I should have indicated this in my post there are some but it is a bit of a drive I will get price on this but I would prefer to come up with more convient alternative but not at the expense of equipment being stolen. I have to much invested as we all have in it. Thanks.

5. DAZ982500

I should have indicated this in my post there are some but it is a bit of a drive .I will get price on this but I would prefer to come up with more convient alternative but not at the expense of equipment being stolen. I have to much invested as we all have in it. Thanks.

6. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

stealing a trailer can be made difficult through locks, chains, etc, but protecting the equipment inside it is not as easy. a great padlock is a nice thought and deterrent, but the majority of jobsite trailers i've seen broken into have either had the hinges popped or cut, as well as the latch that the padlock goes through.

this is why i alway laugh when i see little yard sheds that have a massive lock on them. a small screwdriver to pry the latch off of the plywood is all that's needed.

oh, and a great thing i use on the rare occassion that i have a trailer parked overnight at my house is a baby monitor inside. you might give that a shot.

7. PrimeScapes

PrimeScapes LawnSite Member

I like the baby monitor idea, I have never thought of that!! Come out pistol blazin' ... equipment goes like hotcakes around here.. I have not had a problem so far but I am keeping my fingers crossed!!

I have a tonunge lock on mine.. if you have dual axels a chain and lock can be used as well!!

Good luck!!