1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to keep Trimmers from bouncing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TierOneLawnCare, Oct 3, 2006.

1. TierOneLawnCare

TierOneLawnCare LawnSite Member

I bought a trimmer rack on ebay, installed it, and all is fine except when im driving the trimmers bounce around in the "mouth" of the rack that holds it....Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening....the mouth of the rack (part that the trimmer sits on) is fairly large, and probably too big for what it was designed for.....Any suggestions would be apperciated

thanks in advance
  2. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem with one of my trimmers. I built the rack myself but still made it too big. I have been thinking about buying some of the tape that is used on tennis rackets. I was going to rap the handle of the small trimmer with it to make it fit in better and I think it also make the trimmer more comfortable to use seeing that stuff has some cushion built into it.
  3. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Put foam blocks in there to make up the void, how to hold them in there is up to you...
  4. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

We use foam insulation tape wrapped with a schnazzy (standard black will do in a pinch) colored electrical tape - works out very well.
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

You can avoid all of that nonsense and buy some trimmertraps.
  6. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the trimmer trap and had to put electrical tape on it
  7. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

got a pic of it? we could help you fix it better with a pic. thanks.
  8. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I decided to try 3/4 automotive heater hose. I just cut about a 6in peice and then cut it down the middle. Bounce is gone.
  9. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I bought some pipe insulator...the foam stuff you put around certain pipes like for your A/C. Cut it to size. It won't fit all the way around, but you bend it around the top, bottom, and back, then use the BLACK duct tape to hold it in place by wrapping it a few times. The black tape will stick to itself and hold. The grey will not.
  10. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

I did the same.