1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How to Kill Monkey Grass?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by C.J., May 16, 2013.

1. C.J.

C.J. LawnSite Member

what is the best way to kill monkey grass? I have sprayed it with Glyphosate but still have plenty of monkey grass everywhere, any ideas?

2. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Sod cutter. Then keep applying gly as it comes up. Ornamec may work. Idk
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Early spring and multiple apps of gly

Don't make any promises you can kill it though!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

C.J.
    Big Blue monkey grass?
    Glyphosate will only laugh at it.

Digging it out is the best method of slowing it down. Make sure you get deep enough to take out the bulblets and root systems. Stolons with bulblets will need to be removed also. I wish I was there, I would take it out and resell the stuff.

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

It is not a grass. It is more closely related to onion and garlic. Do not get triclopyr, Metsulfuron, or 2,4-D on it. In Hawaii, it is a common thing to apply 0.25% glyphosate to kill small broadleaves and stunt grassy weeds in a monkey grass ground cover. People who have tried Three Way or Speedzone have tragically learned that monkey grass is not a grass.

My kill mix to remove most existing vegetation from a lawn and landscape about to be replanted includes Garlon, RoundUp, Fusilade. Certainty is included if there are sedges. No replanting is to be done less than 30 days from this application. This is also enough time to kill the vegetation completely.

6. buddee

buddee LawnSite Member

If its the spreading kind, you'll have to wait a bit, and though i know this may not be a viable solution to offer to a customer, but the best way i have found to control it is wait till the hottest part of summer, then mix Razor pro (glyphosate) at 3oz per gallon of water and spray the crap out of it, then wait 10-14 days and by then it should have atleast burnt the blades back. When you see that it has burnt the blades back you can most times then pull it up as it'll weaken the plant and so long as you can get the tuber, you'll be ok. It will however return after some given time - so you must be persistent about doing the treatments.

Beyond this, its mainly a lawn maintenance issue, where the maintainer of the lawn must be persistent in their practices involving pulling it because with spreading liriope, there is no silver bullet. Even with good bed edging it will slowly find its way around it.

7. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

How much do you have to apply to damage it? I use up to 3 applications per year speedzone southern or weed b gone to kill other vegetation growing in it. This does kill dwarf mondo, but I haven't seen damage on large varieties, yet. Maybe I've just been lucky with the varieties sprayed.

8. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I spray all of my monkey grass with 3 way and so far no damage
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. iand

iand LawnSite Senior Member

10. buddee

buddee LawnSite Member

Manor works fairly good, but the main problem with Manor, atleast here in Arkansas is that most people use monkey grass at the edge of their beds, then will have shrubs closely behind it and you have to be extremely careful with Manor because of collateral damage that you can cause if you get to close to other plant root zones. And Manor is kind of like Confront in the way that it doesn't go away very easily - not as residual as Confront, but still the gift that keeps giving.