How to kill wait-a-minute

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wooley99, Jun 29, 2007.

1. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

Any idea how to kill Wait-a-Minute vine (Smilax)? I'm fighting a loosing battle with the stuff in flower/shrub beds along my chain link fence and in the undeveloped lot next door. *trucewhiteflag* If you chop it and pull the vine down 2-5 more sprout. When I can find it's root among the other roots it's as bid as a yam and if you leave a piece of root it comes right back. Stuff seems to like the taste of Roundup. I'd like to kill the vine without taking out the shrubs and flowers.

Thanks.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Wooley

Is this what you are trying to control??

http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/4h/Smilax/smilax.htm

2,4-D should do the job. Allow it to grow and then wick 2,4-D in full strength on the leaves being careful to only get it on the leafs and nothing around it. Use a Q tip or a small sponge and only apply enough to cover the leaf and not run off of it.

3. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

i snip it and paint garlon on the fresh cut. DOESNT come back. Time consuming yes but one shot done.

4. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, the link is a picture of what I've got. I ID'd it on the UF IFAS site. Thank you both for the suggestions. I think I'll try both. 2,4-d on the little buggers that I've been chopping already and garlon on the 1/4" x 20' stuff in the trees. The only thing worse than wrestling the live vines out of something is trying to pull dead ones.

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Olive

I spend 5 days of the last month chasing tree crews across 40 acres, painting Brazian Pepper tree stumps with Garlon 4 mixed 25% with Diesel fuel as per label. Got to admit Garlon 4 would be a better choice of Herbicides. However I suggested 2,4-D because it is more available to the average person and Garlon 4 only comes in gallons as the smallest package. The other point about Garlon 4 or Remedy which is the same product. They are not really labeled for use on residential yards.

6. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

i use garlon 3 ... works great gotta read the label for your app.