how to kill wisteria

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Brandon327, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Brandon327

Brandon327 LawnSite Member

My yard where i am moving to is overgrown with wisteria though out. I am going to disk it and replant with Bermuda. I was thinking that i could spray the whole thing with a brush killer or roundup to kill the wisteria because it has taken this place over and do not like it. Will this kill it and will it hurt my grass seed for the poison to be in the ground? Any other suggestions?

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

How large are the main vines coming out of the ground? For hard to kill vines like that its recommended to cut the vine, drill a hole in the middle of the vine going into the ground and pour straight 100% concentrate Roundup into the hole.

3. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

You should be able to control it using a three way product, like Lesco's Three Way or Momentum. Maybe put some Quicksilver in for a quick knockdown. Only thing is, you have to wait three to four weeks to reseed after spraying three way.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

2-4-D will do the job. Brand names are Garlon 4 or Remedy they are the same. Tordon can be on the cambium right after it is cut.

5. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

2,4-d is also in three way and you will still need to wait a month before reseeding ...

6. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

Really?.........Where on the label did it say anything about that? I must have missed it.

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Better read the label again because its there under trees and vines.

8. Brandon327

Ortho puts out a brush killer, does anyone know if it is a threeway? Is there anyway to tell?

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Read the Label

10. Brandon327

How long should i wait to replant bermuda after spraying some Ortho brush be gone? It does not say anything about it being a three way. It says that it may take 2 weeks to take effect. I was planning on planting some bremuda and a fescue grass blend this Saturday and the Ortho was sprayed today.