how to lay out radius

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by treemover, Jan 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, nice polite post, but I completely disagree.

1. It's not everyday that contractors on forums do anything involving building in water, other than swimming pools and ornamental ponds. So actually thinking you'll walk away with the answers is foolish unrealistic thinking.

2. The OP, if really wanting answers will provide photos, plans, and visuals. I haven't seen any yet. You can't expect quality answers if you're not providing the class with visuals. I could be envisioning one thing that is no where near what the OP is working with. If you want people to invest time in typing away and helping - give us drawings, photos, etc, help us to help you.

3. The contractor needs to call a local engineering and survey company to assist with locating all the points. He/she will have to factor this into his proposal for the job.

4. The Great Wall of China, it was built long before the Internet cam along :)

5. And my biz was built many many many many many moons before the innernet.

6. In closing, get us drawings and photos if you want good thoughts :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. There are a few questions to be answered before giving a good answer i suppose:

Is the architect giving the engineered plans?
    Is the owner of the wall sole owner of the pond and if so,
    can the pond be drained below the level of the foundation for the wall?
    If not drained how will the OP hold back the water to build a proper foundation

Not speaking from experience here cuz i've never built one, but having a curiosity about it these are what i've come up with.

3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

We like to keep things simple.

It's hard to visualize what he's trying to do without a picture of the site
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. pls8xx

pls8xx LawnSite Member

What's to know??? The guy needs to lay out a perfectly circular curve were you don't have access to the radius point. I realize not many of you do sea walls, but surely you get jobs for a long radius wall behind a house were the radius point falls on the other side of the house.

If you get full geometry from the designer, that's what you lay out. Like as not, on a sea wall, the designer does not know how to do it to fit the shoreline and you will have to both field design it and then stake it out.

5. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

To the very very few that provide help thanks.

I kept this as simple as I could. There was no need to for me to provide prints, drawings, explain how i was going to build wall or say that I could drain the water from the lake/pond. I was not asking how to build, ideas or price it. I was asking how to lay out a radius without being able to use center point as reference. The fact it was a wall, sea wall or anything for that matter did not have any bearing on my question. I felt it was a fairly simple question, and I was just looking for some ideas that would make it go quicker.

The way it looks, most on here had to clue how to figure it out.

Thanks!

6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Just so I don't have to go back and read five pages of post what materials were you thinking of using to build this retaining wall. Are you using natural stone are you using precast blocks are you using armor stone sorry if I missed that part
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

So really you've more or less re-visited this thread to complain?

You ask a non-routine question, for a scenario that the majority will NEVER encounter. Fair enough. That's what this forum is for.

You went into all this talk about "water". "Bidding". "Owner not providing surveying".

And then you return to say how stupid most here are and that you're taking your ball and going home. Why did YOU even mention all those things if they're irrelivant? This isn't the only forum on the web, if you're not happy, then why put yourself through the agony of logging on? "Give me" "Give me" "Give me" "Give me" "Give me your experience and knowledge and I'll pop back up to cast stones" And on a Sunday, too!

There are some very smart and very talented and very experienced and very impressive leaders here at Lawnsite. Just like anything - you can't please everyone....

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Since you bring it up, how many sea wall do you install in Arkansas? I realize it's a state of many lakes, maybe a few pics of your work may be of some value to all concerned.

That wasn't what the op asked. He asked how one would layout a 100' radius where the RP was in the middle of the lake. I explained how to do so without (I hope) sounding like an ass. Now what was your method?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

I think it's safe to say we can move on from this topic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.