How to lay pipe?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by rvsuper, May 21, 2003.

1. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Hey guys, even though I am a new super I dropped lawn care but not irrigation and I have a design this weekend that I have to put in.

It's really confusing, and I don't know how to lay the pipe in this situation, because I've never had it before.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Couldn't do it with typing so I ran and took a picture of it.

It is actually my yard, and I'm doing it on memorial day weekend because I won't have another time to do it until July.

Alex

P.S.---There is a head that I forgot to circle(left side of the picture by the pot)The end row is straight, and there is a head in the middle.

sprinkler design 2.jpg

3. earthtool

earthtool LawnSite Member

Seems I've seen this photo on Lawn and Landscape some time ago! Like months ago... with the system in and spraying the walk like crazy. Am I wrong?

4. Sod Buster123

Sod Buster123 LawnSite Member
    from 4

old photo..........new b.s.

5. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Umm,
    The sidewalk is dry, I just took that picture last night.

Can anyone answer my original question?

6. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

And here is the picture of your lawn with the sprinklers on.

I titled the picture "BAD sprinkler design". I use it for a community ed class I teach about lawns and landscape, called :The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly. Guess which section this picture goes in?

I don't mind being abrupt here because you obviously are screwing with everyone. And I believe you (whoever you are) are doing it intentionally.

Your orginal questions? You didn't even have a question in your post! You stated you haven't done it before and don't know how.

So what's your question?

My answer-- hire a professional sprinkler outfit to do it correctly.

bad sprink design.jpg

7. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Look at it this way....That's the only section of my yard that I currently have the system in, because last year when I put that part in I didn't have enough money to put the rest in, but now since I have a better job, I can expand it. The reason why they are covering the sidewalk like that is so it covers part of the front strip there, but now I have changed it since I am going to expand my system. People have budgets you know, and I am one of them. Water bill is dirt cheap in this town, but I changed the pattern to stay inside that section. My advice to you Green in Idaho, is to ask a question or two before assuming that I am ******* with you, which I am not. Obviously you can now see that I am ready to expand, and that I have never had to lay pipe like that in the 3 years I've known to put in irrigation systems. If you don't think I know this ****, I have to figure the ET rates just about twice a month for the course, when you have that much grass to take care of, you must know how to handle and use irrigation. I am not screwin with anyone here, just trying to get some advice but instead I get slammed because I can't afford to put in all of my system at once.

Lay off just a bit man ask questions before you blow up.

P.S- The design is correct, the pattern was just a little thrown off so I could cover them other areas for a TEMPORARY time.

I also don't mind being abrupt to only you, taking your first impression to me that you are the type that don't think before you speak.

8. Green in Idaho

from Idaho

Okay, here's a question:
    What about this section?

badsprdesii.jpg

9. Green in Idaho

from Idaho

Here's some questions:

Why did you place the heads about a foot away from the edge of the turf?

How does that grass get EVENLY watered?

Why do you not have a head in the primary corners?

Why didn't you put them in the beds?
    What do you use to water the shrubs?
    Why do you have two heads in the proposed section but only one in the finished sections despite being the same dimensions?

Why does the front left head stick up too much and is not flush with ground level?

I see one nozzle clearly but the other is below the grass blades. Why are the pop-ups at different heights?

Here some for the maintenance side:
    What's your opinion about trees rings?
    Why is that black bender board sticking 4 inches too high?

10. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Sprinklers were installed before landscaping was.

The back section you see that isn't getting watered is now a patio.

Because I thought ahead and knew there would be a patio there someday.

It is not the ordeal the water rocks around here. Mulch is not a thing up here, and everyone waters shrubs by hand. People have never heard of drip irrigation up here.

Because I knew there would someday be a patio there.

Here are your height questions: Like said before, the sprinklers were installed before landscaping, and I knew the design of landscaping, so that is how I placed sprinklers there. I have the adjustable nozzles so that you can adjust the factor that it isn't right butt up to the edging.

Why are some heads lower than others? I had a skidloader there, I took that picture two weeks after I installed landscaping and didn't have the time to re-adjust the height of the heads quite yet. They are perfectly fine now. And they aren't installed under risers, they are in under swing pipe, so they would be fine if they got ran by the skid, just like some of them did.

Tree rings...nope don't believe in them neither does anyone else in this town. We round-up the grass around all of the trees up at the course so they are easier to mow around, but I don't know if you consider that a tree ring.

I don't see any bender board in that picture.

Keep in mind that picture was taken in the first week of May last year. Look's way different now.

Also- If you would like to see some of the system's I have installed feel free to ask me to take some more pictures of them I would be happy to get more hypocritted by some jacka$$ that doesn't think before he speaks.