How to Layout your estimate

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Unitedlawnscapes, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Unitedlawnscapes

Unitedlawnscapes LawnSite Member
    from USA

I seen and talked to people in the landscape business and they always have different methods of purposing the estimates. For an example one may have all materials listed like this:

Mulch $xxx
    Landscape fabric $xxx
    Labor $xxx
    TOTAL $xxx

Or I have seen a few that just list a scope of work like this:

Scope of Work: Landscape Fabric to be pinned and placed in discussed landscape areas and a application of mulch.
    TOTAL $xxx

I am new to the business and want to be professionally presentable. Any input helps and open to suggestions. Thanks in advance

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I do one lump price

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Same here.

No reason to break down labor and materials.
    None of the customers business what I pay for materials, my markup or labor.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Unitedlawnscapes

Unitedlawnscapes LawnSite Member
    from USA

I am about to submit a estimate for a french drain for 80ft. Very easy access.

material cost + rental fee+ $637.00
    Labor+time $650.00
    Markup on materials $200
    Total= 1,487

Am I selling myself short?

5. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't list is as "markup on materials" if you feel the need to break that out. List it as "Overhead Expenses"

6. DVS Hardscaper

couldn't tell ya. we have no clue what you're doing. 80ft tells us nothing.

how wide?

How Deep?

What are you doing with the spoils?

What are you digging this with?

Many of us enjoy steering people in the right direction, but help us out, get into detail with what you're doing

7. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer LawnSite Member

^what he said.

8. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I always break it down. So the customer knows what they are getting
    I don't show cost I show the mark up price only
    Labor is broke down on each task I do

I'm working on a new bid. Seeding and landscape with little hard scape
    Customer ask for a break down. The First Landscaper wouldn't tell the break down of his bid of 50k. The customer cant compare to other bids and Customer don't even know what he is getting.

You wouldnt buy a new truck with out knowing what you are getting for 50k

9. DVS Hardscaper

This does not make any sense.

A descriptive propos will tell anyone what they are getting.

You want seeding and landscaping done? Then there should be a scaled plan for the landscape install and the proposal should state plant names, qty, and sizes.

It does not matter if the job is $2200.00 or $150,000 - there is no need to break anything down.

Now, if a client is unsure if they want a seat wall, lighting, etc., then I'll list those as individual options.

Would I bay a car without costs broken down?? Of course,
    Absolutely. If it has and if it is what I want, and the price is good - then of course. Life does not have to be difficult.

You price the job with your break downs, a ill price the same job with one lump price.....and I bet you I would get the job. Gotta know how to write a proposal.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

I used to do that a long time ago then had customers say something like well I saw block for this much or can I buy the block ect and have you just charge me the labor portion (that was in the bid). I also don't break down any labor per hour cost..the customer would freak out if they knew what i really made per hour because we aren't a bunch of goof offs ..we try to hump it and get to the next job..you almost get questioned or "penalized " for being a hard worker