Lawn Care Forum banner

How to leaf Cleanup

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Chuck Norris 
#1 ·
Hello,
I'm 15 and this is my first year in the lawn business. I've got a gravely pro 1336. Im wondering how I can offer leaf services for the fall. Can I put my grass gobbler on the gravely and run them over? Will it suck them up? Feel free to tell me your procedures. Thanks so much!
Ryan

#2 ·
Blow them out into piles, then mulch them up. Backing over leaves works extremely well for mulching purposes...as does lower engine/blade RPMs. Experiment.

If you need/want to bag, then it is less work/time to mulch first, then bag - as you'll be emptying the bagger less often.

Personally, I only bag Fall leaves for one customer since he's 90+/old-school. This is purely out of respect. ALL my other customers get ALL their leaves mulched - whether in Oct/Nov or Spring clean-up.
.02 // YMMV

#3 ·
Ryan how do you like your gravely pro 1336? I have one and it's a beast. When I do leave clean ups it just depends on what type of leafs are on the ground. I have a mulch kit on my gravely which helps a lot on the big fluffy leafs but not so much on the small oak leafs that like to fall in between the st. Augustine blades of grass.

#4 ·
Ryan how do you like your gravely pro 1336? I have one and it's a beast. When I do leave clean ups it just depends on what type of leafs are on the ground. I have a mulch kit on my gravely which helps a lot on the big fluffy leafs but not so much on the small oak leafs that like to fall in between the st. Augustine blades of grass.
I love my gravely. I actually was forced to pick it up after my Toro died but boy am I glad I did. It is now my primary mower and the toro is going to be overhauled this winter

#5 ·
Like Valt said just blow them into piles and keep circling the wagon. After you get them halfway chopped up cut your rpm's so your not blowing them as far as you wopuld be surprised how quick you can do it. Also I run mulching blades and this fall I'm going to build me a chute blocker and try it during fall cleanup.

#6 ·
Like Valt said just blow them into piles and keep circling the wagon. After you get them halfway chopped up cut your rpm's so your not blowing them as far as you wopuld be surprised how quick you can do it. Also I run mulching blades and this fall I'm going to build me a chute blocker and try it during fall cleanup.
Wpuld this work with the small oak leaves? Because it seems like I have to lower my deck to 1.5 in. To even mulch them up.

#8 ·
Check with your municipality's sanitation/trash/solid waste division re: what they allow for yard waste.
These compostable paper bags don't hold very much material.
Bagging & hauling it off is another option, but time consuming - and possibly expensive to dump.

These are just a few reasons I mulch EVERYTHING.

#9 ·
Check with your municipality's sanitation/trash/solid waste division re: what they allow for yard waste.
These compostable paper bags don't hold very much material.
Bagging & hauling it off is another option, but time consuming - and possibly expensive to dump.

These are just a few reasons I mulch EVERYTHING.
Wouldn't mulching everything still leave little pieces of chopped up leaves all over the yard?

#10 ·
Knock yourself out and bag it all up...and/or haul it away. There's plenty of LCOs here at LS who do this and have built their business around this practice. Will guess that many, if not most have employees to do this grunt work. There is money to be made in bagging grass/leaves...you'll need customers who are willing to pay to make this practical/worthwhile.

I'm solo...and have bagged more than my share of grass/leaves in the past...before I saw the light. This was a lot of hard work that I'd rather not tackle anymore...and my customer base knows my methods and are quite satisfied with my approach.

You've heard my perspective... Am happy to help if I can.

#11 ·
Knock yourself out and bag it all up...and/or haul it away. There's plenty of LCOs here at LS who do this and have built their business around this practice. Will guess that many, if not most have employees to do this grunt work. There is money to be made in bagging grass/leaves...you'll need customers who are willing to pay to make this practical/worthwhile.

I'm solo...and have bagged more than my share of grass/leaves in the past...before I saw the light. This was a lot of hard work that I'd rather not tackle anymore...and my customer base knows my methods and are quite satisfied with my approach.

You've heard my perspective... Am happy to help if I can.
How do you go about changing for such services? Is there a certain formula that you use?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.