How to load a dead rider onto a trailer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by firstchoice1, Mar 21, 2009.

1. firstchoice1

firstchoice1 LawnSite Member

Everytime I have my 48 inch rider break down while on site I have to have the darn thing towed or have to pay for some guy to load it onto my trailer. costing 70-90 dollars each time. I've tried using a crank strap( Not sure what it's called, but it's a very strong strap, used to strap down things and you crank it to tighten it) which I can either never line up correctly or the weight is just to great for me to be able to crank up.

-Was wondering if you guys might have any ideas

Help!!

Thanks,
    Travis

2. vinny69

vinny69 LawnSite Member

buy a cheap winch

3. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

put the hydros in neutral and push it up the ramp. I've never had a problem getting my 60" lazer on. Heavy as hell, but it beats paying someone.

4. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

are you opening up the dump valves on the hydros to put them in neutural?

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

sure doesn't sound like he is. That's probably why he's having problems and needs someone to do it. You could buy a cheap hand crank boat winch and rig it in a way that will let you remove it when not in use. Don't forget the loosen the dump valves before you try to move it.

6. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

Good old fashion Come Along. Works every time.

7. vinny69

vinny69 LawnSite Member

the only right answer is a 12 volt winch with a couple hundred feet of cable

8. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

If it is a gear drive, make sure it is in neutral. :laugh:

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Here's what I've done. Put your mower in neutral (dump valves). Un-hitch your trailer. Block the trailer tires. Run a tow strap from your truck, over your trailer and hook it to your ZTR. Drive truck slowly & mower will creep up your ramp.

10. firstchoice1

firstchoice1 LawnSite Member

Just joined this site, never imagined people would be so prompt to answer this thread. I'm already hooked!

I always make sure to put it in neutral, on the 48 lazer rider the dump valves are both located under the seat and I always loosen them.

I'm seeing used boat winches used for 20 bucks so I think I'm going to explore that route. Think 1100 1b capacity safe enough?

Thanks again,
    Travis