How to maintain lawn care equiptment.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by, Aug 30, 2011.

1. LawnSite Member

I'm new to the lawn care scene and I'm starting a part time company. I would like to learn how to do all the maintenance on the equipment. I looked at a couple of manuals to try to figure out what is recommend... but I wanted to find out what real people, mowing real lawns do to keep there machines running.

I'm looking to do the basic stuff like oil changes, blade sharpening, etc. So what kind of schedule to you run on?(example: I change the oil every ___ hrs etc.)

Thanks in advance!

- BBC
  2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

generally it's fairly easy to "maintain " your equipment.

My blades get swapped daily(cutting 10 to 20 yards)
    Manchines get blown off daily and i blow out the air filter with my blower also(backpack, not compressed air)
    oil & FILTER changed every 50 hours
    Grease unit every 50 hours.
    inspect belts every 50 hours.

when it gets to the point where i can't blow debris off the unit, say 2 or 3 times a year, or after it rains and stuff sticks to them, i was them with a hose(don't use power washer.
  3. LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply!

So you buy new blades every day or do you just sharpen them?
  4. 2stroked

2stroked LawnSite Senior Member

If you company is not very big, then you don't need to do that much maintenance. Chane the oil and keep the air filter clean and you should be okay for a half season ( depends on how many yrds your mowing). At the end of each season I call in a guy that does all the maintenance, leveling the deck, adjusting tire pressure, oiling everything, belts, oil change, new blades, and a couple other things to get my rider ready for next season.
  5. LawnSite Member

We are shooting for 25 hrs a week or so.
    Oh, okay cool! How did you find him? (what is his job title?) I would like to find a guy like that to do end of season tune-up for the next year.
    Thanks for the help :)
  6. 2stroked

2stroked LawnSite Senior Member

Google search riding lawn mower repair for your area. Chances are there's someone out there who does the same thing. A neighbor told me about him. He came to my house in a work van that had a riding mower lift and all sorts of tools that you would need. No matter you'll probably want to do all of those things mid season and then again during winter. It solved my riders scalping problem that it had developed from being used so often.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Go get a part time job at a mower shop.....I spend about 10 hours a month during the winter just watching and working with repair guys.
  8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, No one has mentioned the most important thing.....

Check Engine Oil DAILY !!!

I'm on my third commercial unit with a blown engine, just because it took too much time to pull a dipstick every morning.... :hammerhead:
  9. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

Great suggestion--if you've never been involved in equipment maint., learning from a few guys on this forum is not enough--I'm guessing most of us learned by doing, making our share of mistakes along the way.
  10. LawnSite Member

One of our guys blew a engine awhile back this year.. lots of down time and ate at the profits not a good deal.... I know a little about equitment mant. helping my dad but if one of the local shops will let me hang out and learn a little I will do it! So what exactly are you greasing?