how to make a bed in this situation

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by The Curious Porpoise, Mar 8, 2006.

1. The Curious Porpoise

The Curious Porpoise LawnSite Member

i need to create a mulch bed around a big tree for a customer. except this huge full grown tree has its roots protruding so much out of the ground that there is a big hump all around the tree w/ its roots sticking out of the ground. how would one go about making a bed out of such a situation? how would i even create a nice clean edging around it?

2. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say it all depends on the size of the yard? Would it look odd if you went out beyond the roots with the bed so you can make a good edge? You might add some soil to cover up the roots and then mulch on top of that... just a few ideas I am just a mulch man myslef not too big on the landscaping part.

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I would just lay down the mulch without trying to cut an edge through the roots. You can do too much damage to the tree. If you are using hardwood bark mulch it should stay in place without plastic edging or cutting an edge in the lawn (and through the tree roots)

4. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

We did one a while back. It was an old maple with roots out of the ground about 5 foot out. We put a nice circle of pavers around the tree about 5 foot out. filled it with nice dirt and put in plantings and low volt light. They now have a statue in with the plantings and it is very pretty. Made a lovely flower garden in their front yard and covers all the roots.

Turfcobob

5. PlantSolutions

PlantSolutions LawnSite Member

Be careful about covering up the roots too much. There is a reason that the roots are at the top and not further down. If you put too much soil and mulch on top of the roots, the roots will suffocate and die because they need more oxygen than roots that grow down and out.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

That is a good way to slowly kill a tree and I do not recommend this practice for anyone to sell to a client...you should recommend against such work

7. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed that you should avoid covering the roots much if at all. In Garden Railroads that is my hobby I know of many trees that were killed from putting RRties around the tree then backfilling then the tree suffocated and died with no water/air.