How to make a bench area on raised Patio

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Green Goblin, May 16, 2005.

1. Green Goblin

Green Goblin LawnSite Member

I have a two level patio. The raised level is 18" higher than the other. It currently has wood timbers that they want to get rid of which make up the retaining wall. I am going to install a modular block retaining wall in their place. One side of the wall that ran perpendicular to the house had a raised wooden bench connected to the retaining timbers.

My idea was to take the retaining wall up into a freestanding wall then cap it for a seating area. Their concern is their grandchildren falling over it. How can I build something that can be a seating area but also have some sort of back to it to prevent a child from going over it?

Another question is how sturdy would a wrought iron railing attached to the top of paver/cap of the retaining wall be?

Any ideas that I'm not considering? Any pictures of something like this?
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

for a freestanding wall look at keystone countyr manor, or ep henry.

the main thing is that they need to be double sided
  3. Green Goblin

Green Goblin LawnSite Member

I know how to put up a freestanding. What I am trying to figure out is how to put in some sort of backing to it so that a kid doesn't topple over.
  4. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Build it twice as deep as you usually would. On the back half, continue the double sided above the front half as far as you like. This will give you a back to your bench seat. Glue each block and cap it.