1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to make a compost pile without machinery

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jul 22, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

OK, I got a friend who is REAL big in working with a small under developed country in Africa I believe. I don't know a lot about it. I was watching a show on TV just now and they were talking about how this excavator giving half his funds to help the surrounding communities with building their tribes.

It basically got me thinking... this guy is working on building a christian school where ever it is. I was thinking I want to pass on what I have learned here to help them be sustainable there.

Now... I know how to build a compost pile here, but that is using tractors, available pipes, fans, solar panels. You get the idea... So... lets take a different route and figure out the best way to make a compost pile for sustainable living without all the heavy machinery and tools.

A lot of pipes with holes stuck through to get air in? Smaller piles that are easier to turn? What are your thoughts? I am thinking of just getting it started with this group for the church school to feed the kids and families. If it grows from there it grows from there. Maybe start this one and use it as a model to start others in other parts of the world.
  2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

oh no, not the convert the Muslims into Christian's group,

tell them to save there cash, don't build a church, try spending that cash on a oil press, maybe some farm tools, and certainly seeds to help feed the masses.

fyi we all got the same teachings from Abraham, that's why Jew's Muslim's and Christians are all lumped into one order, the Abrahamic faith!

feeding people is a noble thing, no need to taint that work with religion. just feed them and they will see gods handy work first hand. also when i get down on my knees and pray, it is not going to be in some building that wastes the resources that god gave me!!! it will and has almost always been at the beach, under a tree, standing on a mountain. try swimming out into 18 foot waves, you will know that Jesus is out there if you make it back alive!!

stay paid up and prayed up and don't ever loos sight of the real miracle's that the lord has given every one, Christian, Muslim and Jews
  3. treegal1

No weapon formed against me shall prosper
    And every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn
    For this is the heritage of the servants of the Lord
    And their righteousness is of me, saith the Lord
  4. DeepGreenLawn

I am with you on all that, religion is just a big ole mess that has nothing to do with what God wants.

But... I still see this as an opportunity, if it is not already in place, to help with food. It might be outside the church, I don't know, and this isn't the last place I want to do this. I just have the contacts to get the things I need there already in place. No having to build relationships, if I can get it up and going wether it be christian, muslim, buhdist(spelling?) I don't care. I thought it would be a great opportunity to start applying what I have learned for a much better cause than keeping all the harmful stuff out of the lawn at my neighbors house.

So... what would be the best way to set this up you think? Lets go back to the basics without the machinery and look at this as if we only had hand tools... oh wait, thats me anyways except for loner stuff on farms. But you get the picture.

Any help would be great, may even start a test pile in my parents backyard and use it for their garden just to get the kinks worked out before we take it overseas, or even to the inner cities of the US, give the homeless guys a place to reap food, if they want to.
  5. treegal1

wind rows, thats it just heap up a pile of trash and green waste, let it rot/ decompose and thats it, there is no shortage of land!! and certainly no shortage of trash!!

no till practices are also paramount, along with water wells.

lets get something together for a well, send seeds, maybe an oil press!!

we can do it like a ww2 leaflet drop, just fly over and drop seeds and picture instructions.

fyi I have seen east Africa and Phill was stationed there as a US/ UN peace keeper, food and religion are not the only things holding down the African people
  6. DeepGreenLawn

Oh I am sure of that, I just thought if they had their own food source then it would help, you can take away everything but if they have the knowledge to start it and build it, if they have to move, they know how to do it again.

So no worries on turning... just pile it up and wait a while? I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to get some piping over there, a couple of fans and a small solar panel. I would think, nothing too dangerous to get stopped.
  7. treegal1

ok then get your passport, pass the plate around and lets go over there for 3 month's and teach the people what it takes!!!!!!!!!!

dont be afraid lets get on a plane next week and go!!!!!

if not, at least lets send over some info and seeds.

my vote is the plane ride and hit the ground running, charcoal, bamboo, wells, seeds, EM, health care, weapons buy backs, vaccines, commerce with other nations!!!! can you add any thing to that list???
  8. DeepGreenLawn

LOL, they are going back for 6 months I think to work on the site later this year? Some time, I will talk to him and see what his plans are.
  9. treegal1

so lets raise an army of green warriors to go to Africa and stomp out hunger!!!

lets see here 50 K + lawn site members x 2$ that will raise a large war chest.

are you into taking the trip?? I know that I am!!!!!!!
  10. DeepGreenLawn

I don't know about tomorrow but I would LOVE to go do work like that. I just need a little time to get things in order.