How to Make a lawn Thicker grass wise.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NEUSWEDE, Apr 4, 2003.

1. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have just started out and one of my customers wants their lawn to have thicker grass growth, they have a dog and in the summer don't water much. The old company they used raked and aerated the whole lawn in the fall and put down fertilizer. What can I suggest to do to make the lawn thicker? They seem to think they from their dog it has becoem spotty from being burned, anything I can do about that??
    Thanks
    Dylan
    I will get pictures and post them

2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

If I remember correctly... to get a thick lawn you want to:

cut moderately short
    use moderate amounts of fertilizer
    and use moderate amounts of water.

That's just what I remember from some notes.

3. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

suggest to them to keep their dog off the lawn. or they can chase it around with a hose to dilute the dogs urine. as long as the dogs there, there will be problems.

4. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

So people with dogs don't have a chance to get a good lawn huh. That sucks, guess I will keep my dog off my lawn when I get one.
    :angry:
    Dylan

5. turfcare

turfcare LawnSite Senior Member

As long as they keep the dog in the yard there will always be a problem. I would overseed in the fall, add lime to the yard and find the dog a new place to stay.

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

To get a thicker lawn you will have to do a soil test, fertilize as needed, lime as needed, aerate, over seed, mow regularly and water for growth.

Gravely_Man

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Thats like saying I want a Mercedes for $10.00 The dog will continually do it's business on the lawn leaving spots. If they don't want to water regularly then there's not much you could do. Tell them to get some zoysia. :cool:

8. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Mow at the recommended height, as well as the recommended intervals for the specific turf.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

aeration and top dressing

10. hoffmanlandscaping

hoffmanlandscaping LawnSite Member

Sounds like one of my customers laid sod down in their lawn last spring came in great best yard in the sub. Then they got a dog that dug everything up flowers, grass everything left paper shredded in the yard. She then quit watering it because she said her water bill was a little high but still expects the grass to be lush. The ground is in the river bottoms nothing but sand and gravel I laid down about 6" of top soil and then put down the sod but the ground just drains to quick not to water the lawn. She ask me what I could do for the lawn this year spotty and holes al over. I said get rid of the dog or get him out of the yard. Then put in an irrigation system. Of course neither happened just fertizlied, areorated and overseeded.