How to make a smart controller stupid

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Aug 31, 2011.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Condo complex where I used to have a L/S maint. contract about '88 thru '95.
    Somebody came along recently and "upgraded" the controllers. They called me out this week to see if I could sort out various irrigation issues. Wet spots, dry spots, leaks, etc.

Exhibit A. This ESP-SMT ( indoor model) replaced an old ESP 8. Nice, creative use of a weatherproof outlet cover.

Exhibit B. Sensor installed on the north side of the building under the dripline of a redwood tree.

Exhibit C. This one replaced an old, reliable Irritrol Dial AB. In a stair well next to the door to the parking garage.

Exhibit D. And the sensor? Installed on the north side of a balcony wall and shaded by the building itself on the west. Nice.

I thought it could be that the sensors were effecting the scheduling, but when I went to check, I found that neither clock was set up with zone info. All were set to specific run times, 8 min. for shrubs, 20 min for lawns 5 days/ week. Sun or shade, no difference.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

WHAT! No 10-10-10? What a crock. :hammerhead:

3. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Great pics. Thanks for sharing. A great opportunity for an upsell for quality contractors.

4. Mike Leary

Oh no, I just looked at the pics that Les mentioned. :gunsfirin

5. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh yeah.

HOA's L/S committee chair called emailed me through my website not knowing I used to maintain the place and am already familiar with the many weaknesses in the system. Currently several areas w/ breaks. Others w/ heads mysteriously capped. Others with plants grown up and blocking heads, and a mix of rotors, impacts and sprays on some zones that weren't like that when I left it.

Current contractor must have upsold them on these controllers and probably promised them water savings. :dizzy:.

I told them $20K probably wouldn't cover the needed repairs and upgrades. She countered with doing it in phases, up to $10 K/ year over 4 years, so they can budget for it.

Might be do-able.

6. Easy controller for pigtails.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Links do not work. Get a "Page not found" message from picasa.

Instead of a link, just show the image here via the IMG tag.

8. Mike Leary

That's odd, I saw them yesterday. :dizzy:

9. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

The ESP SMT has done nothing but caused me so many complaint calls this year. Zone X didn't run today my flowers are dry, It only watered this for X minutes my lawn is brown.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

K.I.S.S.
    Keep It Simple Stupid.