How to make a smart controller stupid

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Aug 31, 2011.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Tried that yesterday with no success.

Links working form both computers I tried. (Oops, now that I've signed out of Google it doesn't. Could be that I added captions, and changed the folder name.... sorry, will try again.)

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Try running your camera shots through an image editor - if they start out way too large, then websites will gag on them - learn about "jpg compression" that an image editing program can apply.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

So will we!:dizzy:

4. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

The ESP SMT has done nothing but caused me so many complaint calls this year. Zone X didn't run today my flowers are dry, It only watered this for X minutes my lawn is brown.
    [Reply] [!!]

Ha too funny. I know, I bought into RB smart controller gimmick too. I have since had to overide the sensor and make most all of them dumb, obediant controllers. Waste of money. I would need 10-12 moisture sensors on a small property to actually do it right and account for all the micro climates on a property.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

s[QUOTE I bought into RB smart controller gimmick too. I have since had to overide the sensor and make most all of them dumb, obediant controllers. Waste of money. I would need 10-12 moisture sensors on a small property to actually do it right and account for all the micro climates on a property.[/QUOTE]

I'm starting to wonder if all those cheezeball clocks and their "weather stations" are worth a tinkers damn. What the hell is wrong with a tech and a Lincoln moisture probe stopping by and checking the whole system operation?

6. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I've got several in service, they've performed well during our drought this year. It's been said a lot but, you have to take the time to get them configured correctly before they're going to give good results. If you just put them in and don't come back to tweak the initial program, they won't do well.

7. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

It's all about the correct initial setup and then the FOLLOW UP to make the necessary adjustments. I've installed dozens and had very little problems at all!

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

An irrigation controller, smart or not, is only as smart as the person managing it. If the controller is not performing as it should (negating hardware failures) then the blame falls squarely onto the person who is responsible for managing the controller. People need to stop the damn blame game, man up, and learn how to manage irrigation controllers properly.

9. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

Hell has surely frozen over because for once I am in 100% agreement with Kiril.

10. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member