1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How to make a smart controller stupid

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

2. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Well put.

That being said, when the H/O messes with it and calls me to come and change it back it is a PITA. I let them know they get one free "redo," after that the service fee will be applied.

3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Picasa is also free. And so is the hosting. So why bother resizing?

Besides, any photo you post on Lawnsite becomes theirs to use however they want:

Content on the Site.
    By posting, publishing, uploading or displaying content, digital media, information, Web links, comments, images, text, files, photographs, videos, works of authorship, messages, communications or any other materials (collectively, “Content”) of any kind on the Site, you grant MRM, its affiliates, and agents an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, edit, move, distribute, transmit, display, perform, adapt, and publish any such Content for any purpose on or through the Site via any media channels now known or later developed, without notice.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You might want to set up your own website someday, and you have to handle the camera images on your own computer, in order to make them suitable for a webpage. GIMP is as powerful a program as Photoshop is, without the price tag.

Photos remain the property of the photographer, even when posted on a forum like this. The license you are granting Lawnsite lives only on their website.

5. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

This is the reason why I don't fully support having a smart controller it some situations.. ( Like most standard resi systems)

I mean if I still have to manage it.. take care of it.. watch it.. tend to it.. rub it.. jerk it... cuddle it.....when it all breaks down to how well I manage it....
    yah know??? I mean, I'm just sayin!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Not following you, Smart or not, the controller has the potential to be improperly managed on any site. Does that mean on most residential sites you don't install a controller?

7. mitchgo

It means that to me IMO that smart controllers aren't as hyped up as some people make them. As I've stated before, I bet I can program up a regular controller and either match the same as a smart or do better with the same amount of time involving myself into properly managing the yard

8. S.O.Contracting

S.O.Contracting LawnSite Member

Really so your gonna make changes to the watering schedule on a daily basis? The smart controller can definitely do better. The problem is that most contractors/homeowners aren't taking the time and/or don't have the knowledge to get it set up properly.

9. mitchgo

well according to others you have to properly manage it always anyways right?

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, in fact, I'm in the middle of re-programming one of my megas (90 zone double clok) that has not been done since '08. It's a nightmare, since some of the turf are on a cistern and others from potable and the clients refuse daytime runs, but it needs to be done and they understand the paperwork cost. :drinkup: