1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to make a watio look good?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Feb 11, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I looked at a job today where the people want a watio. For those that don't know, a watio is not a walkway and its not a patio, its a watio. There looking for about a 12 ft circle shape on the left side of there front door. The sun risings in the front of their house, so they want to be able to eat breakfast outside in the sun. They are europeans.

This is a million dollor house so it needs to look good and not tacky. They also want it to be kind of private. I got some ideas for shrubs, but i also am thinking about some cedar lattice with alittle pergola.

Have any of you installed a front yard patio and have any pics?

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Matt, Chris said "just let him install it" but he was too scared to say it himself! :laugh:

All kidding aside, I have never really made a front porch private. To me it kinda defeates the purpose. If anything we make it more inviting ie: planters, swings, benches, etc. To me trying to "hide" something in a front yard makes it all too obvious that you are trying to hide it, if that makes sense. Maybe a picture and I can brainstorm something.
  3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

The only plant material i can think of that will give privacy and still look OK would be ornamental grass. The key is to draw the eye away, not create a stockade of plants.;)

4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at examples from Sunset magazine, other West Coast stuff- I did a fair bit of front yard semi-private areas when I was out west, it was part of the style. You can create a sense of enclosure, but keep Mr. Aponte's advice in mind- if it's in the front, it can't be completely screened.

What's the distance from the front door to the curb? To the driveway?
  5. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

What is the facade of the house? Brick, Stucco, Cultured stone? It might be a nice spot for a half wall with the same facade as the house so it ties in and small plantings to soften it up.
  6. BTLS

BTLS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Yeah, half wall sounds excellent.
  7. BTLS

BTLS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Oh yeah, an umbella too- europeans love umbrellas
  8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Watio sounds Wackio
  9. mrusk

I will try to get you guys some pictures. But it is your typical mcmansion. The front of the house is brick. The front door is 65 feet from the drive way. It is proably 75 feet from the road. And guess what? They want a walkway from the front door stright across the front lawn to the road.
  10. mrusk

Went back today and got my design all figured out. Now i got to find a good brick layer! I want to build 2ft heigh double sided brick walls on both sides of the house with pillars with lights etc.

People loved the idea.

Now i got to price it out.