How to make leaf removals quicker and more profitable?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by smallstripesnc, Nov 21, 2012.

1. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

yea, backpack blower is a great all around tool for landscaper. i just got a stihl br-600. use the circular motion as others prescribe. will get the leaves out of the ivy.

2. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

personally I find this true with any service performed.

there is no one way or perfect way with any of the services we offer. you do what's easiest, most affordable and makes the most money for you. not what joe says works the best or is the quickest.

3. jbss86

jbss86 LawnSite Member

Hi,
    Just wondering if you know the steps involved in how to use my leaf blower in reverse to make it vac the leaves?

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

One step....go to your nearest dealer and ask them for a shredder vac!

5. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Blower propellers & housings are not designed to ingest debris. I did this last year with a blower missing front guard at air intake. Raked leaves in the front & blew them in a bag I made from large mesh tarp. It sounded like the thing was gonna fall apart. Was not my blower so I quit doing it & If It was my blower, I don't think it would have lasted.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

yah i could imagine the 20hp leaf vacs are quite efficient. for me my 16hp is still very productive, I really shouldn't have bought it yet, because I didn't "need" it but i have a lot of extra money from the storm clean ups i did in november of 2011 and decided to spoil myself and spend 1600 on a leaf vac to save some time loading leaves, but because i bought the bagger for my mower this year and i started bagging all my regular lawns in october, none of them had heavy leaf build up, I just had to blow out the beds and cut the lawn and if the leaves had to be hauled away they all fit in my 8ft bed, i just dumped the bags right into the truck, and I had 1 new lawn where i had a substantial amount of leaves that had to be hauled away so I called up a buddy with a leaf vac, and he sucked them up for $75 a truck load and it was one full truck load probably close to 16 yards its a pretty tall box in a 9ft mason dump.

7. GSO LAWNEN4CER

GSO LAWNEN4CER LawnSite Member
    from GSO NC

I'm like most here.Mence the leaves to bits,then grab the backpack. Its a few thigs you just can't do the job without.

1 Backpack blower
    2 Tarp
    3 Multching blades
    4 Rakes
    5 Hand held blower(when your up against the house in the hedges.
    6 Garden rake
    7 Heavy duty clear bags!

I charge by the hour on leaves,so I love my accts that have 15 trees in the back yard.:laugh:

8. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

We have 35 hp leaf loaders. Well worth the money!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

1 backpack blower
    2 rakes
    3 mowers
    4 grass catchers

less things, much easier to do. in my opinion anyway.

10. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I could do without #'s 2,4,5,6,7. I would add another Backpack blower, 2 Walkers and a one ton dump with either a debris loader or a ramp into the back for the mowers to dump.