How to make money from a tractor.

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by danslawncare, Dec 21, 2004.

1. danslawncare

danslawncare LawnSite Member

Hi guys,
    I own a lawn care business, and am 18 years old. I have a Kubota BX2200, 22hp with 4wd. Obviously diesel. The mid mount mower, and snow blade, as well as a 3pt. aerator and dethatcher. Any other ideas on how i could use it to make money? What do you guys use tractors for? Keep in mind, i don't do major landscapeing....no experience...but would like to get some!!

Thanks in advance!

2. roho

roho LawnSite Member
    from HouTex

Hello dan! Well bx2200 is a nice little tractor! Really it to small for a lot of commerical type work but U could get a rotary cutter, 4 footer(bushhog) & cut small commerical lots in town, w/box blade & frontend loader you might be able to work with contractors that build slabs for homes! u COULD MOVE DIRT around before they pour concrete! Fence building/repair, stable cleanup and round pen tilling! Best bet would be get with a builder and what ever he wanted & work U'r landscape work into it! Good luck and I hope I helped!

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You need to advertise tractor work. That will get you started. You need a box blade. Easy to learn and gets lots of work. That will help with sod/seeding prep. I get more calls for bushhogging and box blade work than anything else with a tractor. Over time as people learn about you with a tractor you will start getting lots of calls. A small tractor like you have has limitations but is perfect for small jobs and small lots. Its a good market niche.

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Hey dan, i tend to agree with roho. If you move up to a b series tractor you will have more 3 PT. and loader lift capacity as well as higher ground clearance. These advantages alone should lead to additional tractor work.

5. roho

roho LawnSite Member
    from HouTex

Hello Dan(again), Both 65 Hoss & lawnking said a mouth full! I really forgot advertise! Thats probably most important! Now write up a business plan that's machine freindly to U'r bx2200. Remember this, "PAY YOURSELF FIRST!" That said, invest into attachments that are interchangable from BX2200 to bigger tractors! If business is sucess(& I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be) you could consider purchase of back hoe attachment and a stump grinder, both are considerable investments, so I'd wanit till business sucess! BTW you can rent small machines that dig & grind, if job comes up! Again good luck! & don't give up! :waving:

6. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Dan, there are several spraying and spreading implements out there for small tractors. Sitrex manufactures a very nice line of spreaders, i have a fs 150 spreader that rocks! I also have electric and pto boom sprayers. I removed my loader and attached my snowblower last night. I use my tractor year round for lawn care, landscape construction and snow, however, my favorite tractor service is fertilizing athletic fields!

7. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Dan did you buy that tractor new or used and how much did you invest for it?
    I would like to get the bx 23 but the price is ridiculous. :waving:

8. lb59

lb59 LawnSite Member

I got mine last Sept.
    A NEW Tractor loader hoe and 60" mmm for 15500 is hard to beat,especially with 0 % financing.

9. 430 boy

430 boy LawnSite Member

if you had a rototiller you could do custom tilling for gardens as well as landscaping job. i think a lot of little job will suit you fine. But get your name out there :)

10. Indydirtfarmer

Indydirtfarmer LawnSite Member

My entire business is built upon tractor work. I do pasture and hayfield renovation/construction, new lawn construction, bush hogging, garden plowing/tilling, and food plot planting. That keeps me busy. The new lawn construction requires some "hand work", but the rest is done from the seat of the tractor. I keep 2 tractors running full-time, about 7 months out of the year. My equipment list is; 2 Woods BB840 bush hogs, 2 Woods HB84 box scrapers, 2 Liembech 7' "pulverizers, a Brillion 6' seeder, an older 8' International Harvester disc, a REAL old John Deere 3 bottom plow, A couple Vicon "spinner" spreaders, 2 Dempco boom sprayers, A 6' King Kutter tiller, and an 80" Howard Rotovator. I also have a couple 2 row "corn planters" that are used on the food plot plantings. All that equipment gets used on a pair of John Deere 2440's (60HP) We have 2 2004 Dodge 2500's, and a couple 25' Ridgeline gooseneck trailers. :)

Advertise in local papers for garden tilling and bush hogging. Those get a lot of 1-time callers. The pasture/hayfield, and the food plot business require some "knocking on doors", and word of mouth. Like any business, it can take time to build up a client base. I've been at it for almost 30 years. It took 10 years to get enough business to keep one tractor running full-time. I'm about to add a third "rig" to the fleet. :D

This isn't all "glamourous work", but it makes me a good living. I get enough new lawn installs to still consider that my "main line", (along with the bush hogging) but the rest of my services bring in more than enough $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to keep me and the wife fat (in my case) and happy :cool2:

The "down side" is that everyone with an old Ford 8N and a bush hog will be competing with you for a limited market. :angry: Don't take jobs just to keep your tractor rolling. If you aren't making money, you might just as well be sitting at home watching Andy Griffith reruns ;)

If you want to make this your profession, be professional.... payup